Sunday, November 7, 2010

All You Need Is Love


Seriously.  The Beatles really had it going on.  All we need is love.

There's too much hate.  Not Haight, mind you...but soul tearing, heart breaking, nasty tasting hatred that leaves it's black ugliness all over everything.  My husband, after reading this post, kindly called it cliche. (Wondering why there's no accent in cliche?  Read this ) He says it sounds like a "Miss America answer" to trying to solve all the problems on planet earth.  I say, cliches are 'cliches' for a reason.  Yes, they are trite and stale, but at the same time, they are filled with wisdom.  Maybe from time to time it's o.k. to be cliche.   Heck, it's even o.k. from time to time to be campy, stupid, and even stereotypical....as long as you know you're doing it.  And right now, I need a cliche to make me feel reassured in this world of weird.  And remember, even the worst cliche was, at it's birth, unheard wisdom.  After all, once one acknowledges that their thinking is 'cliche', (or that they are referring to themselves in 3rd person)  it's well known that it's then alright to use it because we all love a self-aware cliche.  So, I say (like Paul, Ringo, John and George), what we need is love.

What we need is love.  Heart healing, soul mending-grandma-lap-sitting, cinnamon roll baking, big armed squeezing love.  Love that transcends ego.  Love that swallows ideas.  Love that oozes and fills up all the cracks in our errant thinking that we are right. And they are wrong.

What if we, instead of pointing our dirty fingers, spread out our arms and said, "Hey, brother, I love you."  I love your conviction.  I love your heart.  I see your spirit shining through, and even if we disagree, we can still love each other.  I don't belong to your religion, but I can respect your right to believe.  I don't agree with your politics, but I admire your courage to stand up and be heard.  I don't agree with your hair color, shoe size, neighborhood, or a million other things, but I love you.  No matter what.

What would we be like?

What goodness could shine forth?

What kindness could happen as a result of such love?

One of my favorite quotes is, "Resolve to be an instrument of extravagant love every single day you walk this earth."

Well, why not?

Let's lift the hands that hang down.  Let's speak a little kinder.  Let's reach a little further to the stranger, the neighbor, the friend.  Let's remember that we are all allowed to fail.  And then let's be a little more merciful....even to ourselves.  Little hinges swing big gates...let's bring a little more love everywhere we are and then see that love grow.  We can do it.  We can make this one place a little better, we can give a little more hope.  All of us can show a little more love.

After all, all we need is love.

Lisa Haight, Square Toothed Girl
What cliches do you live by?  What's the ancient wisdom you see buried in your favorite cliche?
How DO you add accents to words like 'cliche', 'bebe', and 'bloque'?  No, really...I wanna know...

3 comments:

  1. Try 'option' + 'e' then let go of 'option' and hit 'e' again, it will put the 'e' under the ´, giving you an é. The 'option' key will give you all kinds of international characters, as well as copyright, and trademark symbols... play with it and you will find a treasure trove.

    My motto in life which I hope leads to more love = Psalms 119:165 "Great peace have they which love thy law and nothing shall offend them"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love is all we need...
    I don't have a clich cliche but an oxymoron for you
    I am perfectly imperfect.
    Its the way i plan on living my life, forever. Imperfect. Cuz I am the only me there is

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hulia,
    You're a firework!!! Brighter than the moon, moon, moon! thanks for making me tap my toes today and be inspired!!!

    ReplyDelete