Monday, November 15, 2010

You Are Beautiful

Long, long ago, (about 10 years) in a galaxy far, far away (called Montana), I was walking on a local bike path when I came across this message:


These simple words gave me pause that day.  They were a gift that made me happy.  Those words made me believe that I was just what they said: beautiful.  Those words were written by a well meaning stranger on a public bike path, and even though hundreds of people must have seen them, that day, those words were just for me.

I’ve thought about those words a lot since then, and about what those words mean.  This 'beauty' I'm referring to doesn't concern the buckets we walk around in.  The beauty I’m referring to is regarding the content of our spirits. Today, I want to give you what a stranger gave me and tell you a simple truth about yourself:

You are beautiful.

You are extraordinary.

You are unique in the world.

You are whole, just as you are.  Right now.

You bring something to this planet that no one else can bring:  yourself.
You are amazing.
You have a kind heart and a marvelous mind, even if you feel that your heart is broken or that your mind is filled with dark thoughts about yourself and others.

I firmly believe that most of the unhappiness on this planet is caused by unhappy people.  We women, especially, feel terrified that we ‘aren’t enough’. And when we are terrified, we feel like we need to be in control of everything.  And when we try to control everything, (as if that's actually possible) our control mutates into an unhealthy, and soul wrecking competition with others.

Today, you can let all that negativity go.

Today, instead of condemning yourself and those around you, you have the opportunity to exonerate those you influence with your undeniable beauty. You can cease to belittle yourself and others, and instead, delight in all the success you see. Today, you can take pause and feel the peace that comes with this beauty and then you can share it.  You can let all the pain that you have been carrying about this and that go, because you can choose to.  You can believe in yourself and get out of your own way, and be happy, because you are a spark of the Divine.

Today, you can believe that you are beautiful.

Because today, you are fearless.

The time for resignation is past.  You are beautiful. When you let that beauty and all its attendant joy cascade from you, you give others the permission to do the same. Today, don’t shine less.  Shine more.  

Shine more, because,
You are beautiful.

What makes you beautiful?  Please leave a comment about the beautiful people around you, or especially about what makes you beautiful...too shy?  Email me at  squaretoothedgirl@gmail.com  I look forward to hearing from you! 

Want to share the beauty? Get the conversation rolling and send this as an e-mail, share it on Facebook, Tweet it!! 

14 comments:

  1. The top of my head is kinda shining more. Does that count? ;) Love you and your beautiful spirit, my dear. YOU make my world a better place and remind me to do the same.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I work in Washington D.C., so I sometimes don't see beauty or kindness, but a few days ago I saw the spark of the Divine in a woman in her late 50's on the metro. This woman, surrounded by many younger men also sitting, gave her seat up to a woman in her 70's. The men didn't even look up. She was the most beautiful thing I saw that week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and post from a friend's post to facebook. Thank you. This is EXACTLY what I have been looking for today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Erin, I am so glad!!! Please feel free to pass it along to every one--it is true. YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL. Thanks for reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. On top of all that you are, including beauty yourself, you have taught me this important lesson. Thank you more than all the stars in the sky for seeing beauty all around you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lisa Stott! I loved reading your words; you are truly beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. There is always beauty to be found when you look at a child and so, because my children are so beautiful it must mean there is beauty in me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an awesome post! I completely agree with everything you said. And what a fun blog! I'll be checking it often! And if you don't mind, I'm going to share it on my blog, I'll give you full credit of course. :)

    -Amber Bagley

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Ali, you are right--your children are beautiful because YOU are beautiful. Thanks for reading and sharing your beauty with the world.

    @Amber, you are welcome anytime--we sure miss you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lisa, I have known you as a great neighbor. (ALWAYS a smile and/or a wave). I've witnessed your incredible glow of love as a mother (one baby in the stroller, then another and the first child walking beside you). I've experienced your strength of confidence in obtaining your goals(you trusted me to get your house SOLD quickly and we did it). I've seen your magnetism with other people (your going away party had people of all ages hugging and wishing you well). Now with this blog I can continue to enjoy your humor, your wit and your encouragement. So happy to have found you again!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I popped over from the "letters to my dad" post, and loved what I read. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this is a beautiful gift of a post - thank you - I'm off to post it on FB
    Lx

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is a beautiful post. I am glad I found your blog (through Sweet Tea & Sunshine)!

    ReplyDelete