Monday, December 6, 2010

Hark!



It's the sounds of the season!
The plucking of the harps, the voices of carolers.
Feet on crunching snow.
Silver bells by Salvation Santas, and windshields being scraped clear on a frosty morning.
Bell choirs and joyful greetings.

Nothing says Christmas to me like the music of the season.  One of the first Christmas songs I can remember singing was "Rise Up Shepherd!"  My buck-toothed, 3rd grade self belting out,
 "Follow! Follow!  Rise up shepherd and follow!  There's a star in the east on Christmas morn!  It will lead to the place where the baby is born! Rise up shepherd and follow!"

From then on, I was hooked.  It has long been disputed in our house the appropriateness of playing Christmas Music before Thanksgiving...my thought is, anytime after July 4th is fine by me.  This has resulted in not a few digs here and there from Mountain Man who insists on what he calls "Christmas song purity"--or the idea that any person who plays Christmas music before December 1st should be drawn and quartered in the town square.  Lucky for me, I seem to be the one person who can shamelessly skirt his arbitrary rules and fear no retribution.  Therefore, we have quite a vast collection of Christmas favorites...but I'm always always looking for more.

So today, I need your help.  If you are reading, would you mind sharing your favorite Christmas album, song, or collection with all of us?  Leave a comment, or you can e-mail me at squaretoothedgirl@gmail.com.  The world needs more music to rejoice to--I need more music to rejoice to!!!  And you may be just the person to introduce me to my new favorite!

Here are my top 10 Christmas cds of all time:

Holly Happy Days--- by none other than the greatest duo on the planet, the Indigo Girls.
The Dawn of Grace--Six Pence None the Richer
Christmas Songs--Dianna Krall (The perfect Christmas party cd)
Joy: A Holiday Collection--Jewel, with a great holiday rendition of "Hands"
The Bells of Dublin--The Chieftans
A Midwinter's Night Dream--Loreena McKennitt
Wintersong--Sarah McLachlan
The Spirit of the Season--The Mormon Tabernacle Choir & Orchestra featuring Sissel
December--George Winston
A Traditional Christmas--by Brian Crain.  A beautiful piano cd with holiday favorites.

I have two bonus cds we really enjoy in our house this time (all time) of year, but which didn't necessarily make my top ten.  They are:  Light of the Stable by Emmylou Harris, and Come Darkness, Come Light by Mary Chapin Carpenter.

Anyway, there are a few of my Christmas favorites.  Please, please, please share yours with us!  Music has such power to being peace and joy, especially this time of year.  Just last night we attended an annual Christmas concert.  The choirs were outstanding and the selections covered a vast array of holiday music from many cultures.  But my favorite was the end...

As the organ began her bellowing, the choirs rose from their seats and audience joined them in singing, "Silent night!  Holy night! All is calm!  All is bright!"  I closed my eyes and heard a thousand voices coming together for one brief moment of unity and love.  For that one instant, peace filled the air around us as we sang with one voice.

Joy abounded.

Don't forget!  Please let me know what your favorite Christmas album is.  You can leave your comment here, or e-mail me at squaretoothedgirl@gmail.com


Live on the edge and become a follower of Diary Of A Square Toothed Girl!  Join us in celebrating the simple moments of everyday life! 

8 comments:

  1. One of my favorites is "Breath of Heaven" by Amy Grant. Love it! By the way I love your blog! It keeps a smile on my face!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My after-Thanksgiving Christmas music rule is self-imposed. I save it and savor it. A few favorites -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNHPGp9CyL0 (I was so hoping for a bunch of little sons who could sing!)

    I love Sage of Lamberene (done by Kurt Bestor and Sam Cardon) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTf3G3S6UZI

    Still, Still, Still in all its many varieties. O Holy Night - Thurl Bailey actually has a pretty sweet version. Sting - On a Winter's Night. The Hotel Cafe "Winter Songs."

    I love a good men's choir - Straight No Chaser has some amazing vocals and really fun (and funny) Christmas music. Men's voices in general - Josh Groban, Harry Connick, Jr., love Barenaked Ladies' version of Jingle Bells. A little Enya and Loreena McKennitt's "A Winter Garden." Anything Celtic.

    Instrumental favorites - Jenny Oaks Baker's "O Holy Night", some Mannheim Steamroller and a personal friend - Kurt Metzger http://www.kurtmetzgermusic.com/ He was in our Bishopric in Minnesota and our Sacrament meetings rocked...in a very appropriate, spritual, musical way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Squirrel Nut Zipper's Christmas album (Christmas Caravan) Mostly their own original songs with a jazzy feel to them...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My very favorite song is Silver Bells (Bing Crosby of course). It reminds me of my mother, when we lived in Indiana she would drive down the streets singing it on the top of her lungs, because the whole world reminded her of it. She still does. It is the best!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like my Aunt Cori's Christmas CDs.

    I am partial to the first (Sleepy Little Town) but they are both good.

    Check them out on her website:
    www.coriconnors.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just got Faith Hill's "Joy to the World" put in my CD player upstairs this week. I also have a cassette tape of one that was a favorite for years, an Instrumental called "Winterlude", I also enjoy anything by Mormon Tablernacle Choir and Donny and Marie.
    BTW your Duet today was heavenly! Thanks for singing my husband's favorite hymn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! Thanks everyone for sharing your favs! i can't wait to check them all out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. as a person who works in the music industry, I am going to let this lie. so many artist we sell and I ca not play favorites. your thought made my day. made me remeber. "I closed my eyes and heard a thousand voices coming together for one brief moment of unity and love. For that one instant, peace filled the air around us as we sang with one voice."

    ReplyDelete