Thursday, December 16, 2010

The Terror of Dinnertime

   There is a question that strikes terror into my heart every time it is uttered in our house.
It is: "What's for dinner?"
Deer in headlights, anyone?
Yep, that's me on the
inside when the kids ask,
"What's for dinner??"

Without meaning to, this innocuous phrase sends me into a panic every day.    Please don't misunderstand--I love the ritual of dinnertime; family gathered around the table, reconnecting with each other after being in the throws of the storm.  It is our most important hour, but it would be a heck of a lot more enjoyable if I didn't have to cook it.

Every day, without fail, I begin my day like any of you--getting kids off to school...then work work work...pick up kids...little more work...household stuff that needs to be attended to, and then...BAM! Out of the blue (Hah! Like I didn't know it was coming??!)  one of my little people asks, "Mom, what's for dinner?"  My response is immediate and completely full of swagger, "Oh, you know, something AWESOME."  At which point I begin mentally inventorying my kitchen for ingredients for something edible and kid friendly.

Diary Of A Square Toothed Girl is all about celebrating the everyday, and in order to celebrate, it helps to have a positive out look on life.  But I'll be honest, there's a good 20% of me that harbors a negative attitude about cooking dinner.  What can I say?  I'm human, and we've all got our stuff.

Really though, I've diagnosed my problem with cooking dinner:  I'm o.k. if I have a plan, but it's when 5 o'clock rolls around and I haven't given it a thought all day long that the panic sets in. And unfortunately, that's how I roll most days.

Anyway, for me, cooking dinner is right up there with getting vaccinated for rubella, spending more than twelve minutes in a room with twenty 3 year olds, and listening to fingernails being scraped on a chalkboard.   And you may be wondering:
Since I'm writing a post on cooking dinner, what are we having?

BAM!


...something AWESOME.

*        *        *

What do you like to cook for dinner?  No really, I want to know, because the deer in the headlights have just set in as I've realized it's dinnertime.  [Sigh.]


Leave your comments here or E-mail me at squaretoothedgirl.com  Live on the edge and become a follower of Diary Of A Square Toothed Girl and join us in celebrating the simple moments of everyday life!

8 comments:

  1. Whats for dinner? I dont even get asked that anymore. lol. I just give them the look and then they know that they MIGHT get fed. Wish I could have all the time in the world to be Betty Crocker but alas, Im not.
    Thank the Lord they love me anyway.:)
    ps, love the deer in the headlights shot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to call it 4 o'clock syndrome. I have a few 20 minute meals in my pantry supply list at all times. Tuna Noodle cassarole, Goulash, Spaghetti, Mash potatoes and gravy made out of a can of Vegetable soup just to name a few. Tonight it is Perfect Pizza- the special at Papa Murphy's

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so so so glad to know that that seemingly innocent little question strikes terror into someone else's heart as well!! Yikes!! I'm with Mary . . . Papa Murphy's here I come! xo Or, Berney's Tacos - super yum . . . I always think that I will think of thinking of the event that is dinner long before 4:30 rolls around . . . think again!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really, I am beyond hope...and the bad part is I could (and should) feed a small country on what I spend on take out in a year...but you know what? I don't care...;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I had children at home I'm sure that I had the deer in the headlight many times. Now that there is no kids at home if I haven't thought of any thing at 4:45 I tell Bob that he is on his own. So far he doesn't seem to mind. Your time will come.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I cooked Taco Bell a few nights ago...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have resorted, on occasion, to handing the offending child a box of breakfast cereal. Breakfast for dinner? Works for me ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. At 6:08 P.M., and after a few little ones asking for the cereal, I decided I would look to see what ingredients I could muster together. I made a lame version of lasagna soup in 10 minutes, picked up Zach, and even got a, "Mom, this is the best soup EVER!" I secretly winked to myself at that point.
    Thanks for celebrating!!

    ReplyDelete