Sunday, March 27, 2011

Letters to My Father

I came across a box last week at my Dad's house, filled with letters written to him from his children. Apparently, we shared the same passion for collecting letters.  As I read the thoughts I had written to my dad over the years, I found in them remembrances of life, and joy in living.

Here's a taste:

"Dear Dad,
     Remember when you bought this paper for me at the University Bookstore?  I do.  In fact, I am quite convinced that it is the reason I'm going here instead of the University at home.  You probably planted some deep subliminal idea in my brain at a very young age to go to your alma mater!"

"Dad!
     Yes, I made it here, the plane didn't crash~Tam and I have spent every moment in this pub--just kidding!  Actually, I'm having an incredible experience soaking in the culture.  I just can't believe I'm here!  Tomorrow we're headed for Paris...and don't worry, I'm not planning to bore you all with 50 million photos...that's what slides are for!"

"Dear Dad,
     Thank you for your letters each week, it's always nice to be reminded of home. Thanksgiving in Canada was yesterday, it wasn't like Thanksgiving at home; there was no Uncle Dave throwing rolls across the table, no incessant picture taking, and no one making me drag out dining room chairs from the highest room in the tallest tower.  I've never spoken French at Thanksgiving dinner or been surrounded by such crazy and wonderful people...oh wait, yes I have!"  

"Dearest Dad,
      In reflecting on my plans for the evening, I came to the realization that I forgot to tell you something.  Jack and I have decided to wed.  It was all decided a week ago, after I found out that I am going to the mother of Jack's baby!  Dear Jack has taken care of all the arrangements.  We are headed to Las Vegas where we plan to be married by an Hungarian priest named Raoul.  We are leaving tonight, and I'm so sorry I forgot to tell you before you and Mom left for the evening.
     Anyway, take care, and know that Jack and I can take care of ourselves.  We've taken employment at a nearby 24 hour "guns and medieval weaponry" shop, so there's no need to worry about our financial situation.

P.S. I'll be home by 12h30 or shortly thereafter, Jack and I have gone to a bonfire...puts my being late into perspective, doesn't it??"

"Dear Dad,
     I want you to know how very much I love you.  I am so grateful for everything you have done for me and my little family.  I am also grateful for all the things you have taught me--namely, to work (to always, always work), to persist in any endeavor that is worthwhile, to have a sense of humor about life and especially about myself.  And also, to value family and cherish them always."


I love you, Dad.
Love,
Lisa

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing; these are wonderful letters to your Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you are finding joy in your memories as you take these trips down memory lane, Doll.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey this is Natalie...love the optimistic way you share the news about you and Jack :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. and as for Canadian thanksgiving - one of the funniest times of my life!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great inheritance, to have all those letters. What DID he SAY when he read the Las Vegas letter? That was absolutely precious.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was one of many exaggerated letters I wrote to him over the years...and since he thought 'Jack' was putz to begin with ,he knew I'd never run off with him.

    However, I also stole a car once on a camping trip so maybe he did think I was serious!!! :)

    ReplyDelete