Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Three Beautiful Things

You know how there are ups and downs in life?  I find myself in a down--I'm not down, just in the 'down' phase of things right now.  You see, my darling dad is dying.

And it totally sucks.

The last 6 weeks or so have been some of the most trying of my adult life. This situation is beyond my control to influence, but I do have one choice:  that is how I act right here, right now.

One of the blogs I follow is called Three Beautiful Things.  If you haven't checked it out, it is filled with small moments of gratitude, that, at first glance seem insignificant and unimportant, but when examined with sincerity and and open heart, are actual miracles.  Since I am a firm believer that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, I am going to pay tribute to the author today and share with you a few things I am grateful for today.

And these don't necessarily have to do with my dad's inevitable passing, (which I'm sure I'll write more of later...or not...) but just three beautiful things I am grateful for that make today seem a little lighter and a little brighter.


Three Beautiful Things:  Saying Goodbye, Small Stones and Thank You.

One: A chance to say goodbye. I have had a chance to say goodbye.  I'm acutely aware that there countless numbers of people who never get the chance to say goodbye.  I have.  And my gratitude for this one, simple thing, fills my heart with such loving kindness to the Divine that even for a blather-er like me, there just aren't enough words.

Two:  Small Stones.  I am a funny girl, with square teeth.  I have always written.  Always.  Usually it was just funny perspectives on motherhood, student-hood, teenage-hood, childhood--you get the idea.  Anyway, I write poetry too--off and on--(what writer doesn't?)  but have always considered myself  'the funny girl' who writes funny things and people like to read them because they are funny.  Well, dear readers, I reached outside myself and submitted one of my small stones to be published and well....it is!  This is one small step for writer-kind, and one gigantic leap for Square Toothed Funny Girls everywhere!!

Three: Thank You.  On a long car ride home this weekend, I received a phone call (from someone whom I just adore,) thanking me for something I was doing for them.  It was said with such sincerity, kindness and tenderness that the weight of love behind his words flew to me in an instant.

Those are my three beautiful things today.

What are yours?

3 comments:

  1. Lisa,
    I am so sorry about your Dad and do admire you so much for the way you are choosing to handle it. You're right; we do have choices in life. I've never read Three Beautiful Things and will check it out; I do love gratitudes! So mine for today (and I'll have to put record them in my gratitude journal tonight: The flock of seagulls I saw as I drove over to the Temple this morning with 2 dear friends 2.A lesson learned about being more "open" during my Initiatory session and 3.That I had the desire to buy my husband a new shirt just because he deserved to look nice.:)
    p.s. Congrats on being published!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lisa. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. I love your Dad like the brother I never had. Over the years we have had many wonderful, fun-filled times together. Like you, I have had my chance to tell him how much I love him and say our goodbyes. To my total shock, he called a couple of weeks ago and we had a good visit. So hard to hear his frail, but beautiful voice. I know how much he loves his family. We never talk but what he hasn't bragged about how proud he is of his kids, but I'm sure you already know that. Love You...Nancy (Haight) Max

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Dear, Dear Friend...
    I could blather much and examples of how I know how you feel. But, no matter what I've been through, it isn't what you're going through. But you will get through it. With some scar tissue, to be sure, but as the Book tells us, "And it came to pass", never to stay.

    I want to thank you.. You taught me that it is okay to use words like Darling, and Fabulous. And somewhere one day, out of the clear blue, because it fit this older woman so well, I called her Doll. She squealed with delight and said she hadn't been called Doll since before her children were born. Now I use it with abandon when appropriate. You taught me how to enjoy life...

    And part of life is the progression. Someone needs to be over there to get the place ready for the rest of you. Bless his heart for taking on the task. All things came to pass...

    In the mean time my heart hurts for you and the feeling of helplessness you must be struggling with.

    If you need a sympathetic and understanding ear and heart, let me know, I will Skype you. Love ya, Doll.

    ReplyDelete