Tuesday, April 5, 2011

D is for...

Diary.

For every person the point of a diary is different.  For me, it is a means to record meandering thoughts, details, feelings, abstractions and anything else, including utter fiction, in order to help me be more self aware.  "The examined life is the only life worth living."
I don't know who said that, but it is in my actual diary, which I call a journal, because the word 'diary' sounds too much like diarrhea, and that just takes me back to the days of newborn babies, lack of sleep, and that fuzzy headed anywhere-but-here feeling that umbrellaed my late twenties/early thirties.

So why is this blog, given all my baggage with the word 'diary', called Diary of a Square Toothed Girl?

And the answer is:  Synonyms for the work 'diary' include the words, journal, record, chronicle, and log.

Well, the word 'journal', in my culture, is resplendent with guilt.  There is a lot of encouraging for people to 'keep a journal', and since I never do, I always end up feeling bad (not.)  I can't seem to keep a regular updating of my life in bad hand writing that some distant-yet-to-be-born descendant will eventually decide to throw in the rubbish bin because they are incapable of deciphering my chicken scratch and really, who is gonna care what I did on Wednesday March 4th, 1988?  (I was probably dancing to Duran Duran on that day.)

As for the word 'record', that's just a little too scriptural for me.  And, since my name isn't Moses, or Abraham, and I haven't recently built a big boat and loaded it with manimals, (yes, MANIMALS) the word 'record' is out.

That brings us to the word 'chronicle'.  Perhaps if I had more magical Lions, cheeky British children who never seem to come out of the closet, and fawns in my blog, then I'd wholeheartedly embrace the word 'chronicle'.  As it is though, the only fantasy at Diary of a Square Toothed Girl is my long held belief that-- (please envision a taller, and more grey haired version of Scarlett O'Hara speaking to the heavens with fisted determination here) "As God is my witness, I will fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans once more!!"

But what about the word 'log', you may ask?  Well, that's just redundant since a blog is a weblog,  and it  reminds me of Captain Kirk.  "Captain's log. Star date...."  Unless William Shatner calls me this afternoon, 'log' is out.

So, diary it is.
Welcome.

P.S. An explanation of my Square Teeth comes on 'S' day--April 22nd....see you then!!!

What's your blog called? 


Leave me a comment and I will check it out!
Be sure to check out the many other wonderful A to Z writers by clicking on the A to Z buttons to the right!!!

6 comments:

  1. Loved it, Lisa Stott!*S* My blog is Thought"full"ness with an emphasis on "full" because I have a head "full" of thoughts and desires to become better! Thanks for being a "follower" and more than that, thanks for "blogging"! By the way, None of the other synonyms for "diary" would have fit with square-toothed and given it quite the same "oomph"(which I believe you have quite a bit of)!*S* Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wrote in diaries all through my childhood. Every entry would begin Dear Diary,

    Now I write in journals, and I have to start each entry with something, so I write the date. I can't imagine my life without diaries/journals/logs or whatever they are, I love them all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When d first came up I thought of Dearest cause I have the dearest friends in my life. They stand up for me. Some of my dearest friends have been my friends for over 50 years. They make me laught, cry and always welcome me in their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife's blog is called Haight is Love (http://www.haightislove.blogspot.com/)

    Manimals...love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always liked the sound of Chronicles. It feels good in the mouth.

    My blog is Jim's Girl Family History Blog, because my dad, Jim, got me hooked on genealogy.

    I guess it should be no surprise that one of my favourite genealgoy magazines is "Family Chronicles."

    Looking forward to "S." I have been wondering.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Excellent post! I also wrote a post about diary/journal writing for D. :) My blog is called "Blush of Dawn"~I'm an early riser and love the subtle pink of the sky that sometimes appears at dawn.

    ReplyDelete