Thursday, April 7, 2011

F is for...

Fads I've followed.

Like anyone, I've given into societal fads.  Trends that, upon retrospection, have left me shaking my head in disbelief.  Fads like, shoulder pads.  WHO THOUGHT OF THAT AND WHY, OH WHY, did they think it was a good idea to make any body look bigger???

Or, tights with shorts.  Some on you may not remember this early 90's phenomenon of wearing opaque tights under a pair of oh-so-dashing pleated front shorts.  This ensemble was topped off by a shoulder-padded blazer which made the person wearing the outfit look like a rectangle with toothpicks.

It looked something like this:




Or what about peg legged, waist high jeans?  Looking through some pictures the other day, my daughter asked me, "Hey, why did you and your friends wear 'mom' jeans in high school??"

Or, leg warmers, scrunchies, Birkenstocks (o.k. I still wear those from time to time...) jelly shoes, saying the word, "Like"---like every other sentence, HUGE horizontal striped shirts hanging off one shoulder, leggings, big hair and using the word 'Rad!'

Oh wait--I still do that.  What can I say, some fads die hard.




'Rad' huh???


What fads did you follow?

Leave your comment here and be sure to check out what other A to Z writers are talking about by clicking on the buttons to the right!!


3 comments:

  1. I think high-waisted jeans ruined me forever. I've never felt comfortable with the low-waisted style.
    I spent my freshman year wearing lots of dark colors, a long black trench coat and cut my hair in a lopsided punk bob. I've embraced more color since then, but I still love the music!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my 7th grade class ('67) that was the class where girls were finally allowed to wear pants/jeans to school instead of a dress/skirt. Guess that wasn't really a fad, but my mother thought it was, Bell bottoms, so low slung I would never let my daughter wear them... Okay, they are making a comeback as we speak. Elephant leg pants. Yes, they looked like that, straight down off the hip, but you could hide a lot of thigh in there, I wish they would come back. Straight hair, razor part down the middle, the beehive hair was gone, I skipped the That Girl flip fad. Yay. Pantyhose. *shudder* And the one that went out of fashion but never with me. As a child of the late 60's early 70's... No.Bra. I don't care if one even lives in my house. But as matter of propriety, I wear one when I leave my house. Most of the time. ;-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really wanted the big hair in middle school! My hair has always been thick and flat. I grew to hate big hair because I was so jealous that I couldn't be part of that fad!

    Jamie
    From My Classroom Window

    ReplyDelete