Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Lessons I've Learned from the "K"arate Kid

This is a re-post of a previous Square Toothed Girl selection...what can I say?  My house is filled with sick kids and haystack sized piles of laundry, and I have a mouse in my basement.  Hope you enjoy! 

Ridiculously, every Wednesday, my kids get out of school one hour early so teachers can sneak off to the local pub, prepare lessons, pick up their dry cleaning, scrape gum off of desks...or do whatever those magnificent teachers do on Wednesday afternoons with an extra hour. 

Anyway, Wednesdays leave the Square Toothed children with a WHOLE extra hour of doing something fun.  Today, as it is still winter here in the Northwest, it was snowing.  As the fluffy white stuff coated rooftops and newly budding trees, we decided to use our extra hour to watch "The Karate Kid."  Not only did we enjoy this relaxing time together, but learned some valuable lessons via le Kah-rah-tay Kid.

Lesson One:  Patience is a Virtue.   Ever streamed a movie from Netflix?  It's like watching mission control come in on the Space Shuttle orbiting above the earth.  I've had more luck time traveling to when the movie was showing in theaters in 1984.

Lesson Two: 1984 Ralph Macchio isn't such a babe anymore.  I was 10 when "Karate Kid" came out, and Ralph Macchio was my first big screen crush and babe-licious.  Posters from Bop! magazine plastered the walls of my room.  Ralph, aka Daniel-san, was every 80's girl's dream.  Unfortunately, I haven't seen much of Mr. Macchio these days...I wonder if this Square Toothed Girl would still find the Karate Kid poster worthy...and, would Mountain Man mind?

Lesson Three:  All good things come from Waxing On and Waxing Off.  Need to thwart a mugger? "WAX ON!"  Stubborn soap scum?  "WAX OFF!"  Can't get rid of annoying family?  "WAX ON!"  Need to clean up after you've given them a broken nose by waxing on?  "WAX OFF!"

Lesson Four:  Mr. Miyagi really IS all that.  Not only could Mr. Miyagi fix old cars, build awesome fences, and could take on twenty smart-aleck kids in the dim light of an alley, he was wise to boot.  Here are a few Miyagi-isms worth remembering:

Miyagi: What matter?
Daniel: I'm just scared. The tournament and everything.
Miyagi: You remember lesson about balance?
Daniel: Yeah.
Miyagi: Lesson not just karate only. Lesson for whole life. Whole life have a balance. Everything be better. Understand?
*        *        *
Daniel: I don't know if I know enough karate.
Miyagi: Feeling correct.
Daniel: You sure know how to make a guy feel confident.
Miyagi: You trust the quality of what you know, not quantity.
*        *        *
Miyagi: [repeated line to Daniel] Look eye!, always look eye!
*        *        *

I sat enraptured with the once golden Karate Kid, while my kids made fun of Daniel-san's girlfriend's hair. 
"Hey! We all had hair like that in the 80's, resepect your elders!!" I said.
"Just sayin' Mom...that hair is UG-LY.  But that Miyagi guy is cool."

Indeed.


What was your favorite 80's movie?  First movie crush? 

2 comments:

  1. Wax on...Wax off...takes on new meaning in this day of leg/arm pit hair removal. We loved that movie, watched it many times. Danny didn't age well, unfortunately. Did you ever see "Crossroads"?
    I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved that movie. Ralph Macchio's not looking too bad on dancing with the stars. But I might be prejudiced ... he's a hometown boy and we share a birthday ... no, I never met him (rats!)... it was a very big town.

    ReplyDelete