Saturday, April 23, 2011

The Maple "T"rees

Every Spring, I look forward to the budding of the maple trees.  We have a gigantic maple residing in our very own backyard.  Mid March, wondrous blooms burst forth from each branch, and the smell is heaven.

The subtle aroma transports me to a time when I was living in Montreal. There, this mighty tree is the life blood of an entire culture addicted to all things d'erable.  My first Spring there, I would walk the neighborhood on Mount Royal everyday.  Just behind St. Joseph's Basilica is a stairway. Located off of a dead end street, this hidden path is nestled between many mighty maples and during late April, the fragrance of budding maple flowers hangs thick in the cool breeze of the morning.

Since then, I can't breathe in that sweet scent without being filled with the memories of a secluded trail hidden amongst maple trees.
  

Enjoy your Saturday, and...

Joyeuses Pâques!

4 comments:

  1. I love maple trees. We had one in our front yard when I was a kid. Now our house is surrounded by oaks ... lovely, except I'm allergic to oak pollen ... my harbinger of spring is my budding lilac bush. My girls and I check the buds every morning starting in March watching for the first signs of swelling and then when the leaves start to open and the first purple bits can be seen ... Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the lilacs!! There is a huge bush on the route I walk every day--it is my favorite route in Spring time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love maple trees, but they're my favorite in the fall. Dad has the most gorgeous maple tree in his front yard - people actually stop sometimes and ask to take pictures when it is in its full red glory.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We had the most ancient towering maple trees on our farm. I loved to lie in the grass and look up at the sky through their branches and leaves. What a great memory. Loved your blog.

    ReplyDelete