Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Walking

It's funny how when you don't do something for a few days you either really miss it, or don't miss it at all.  Case in point, going for a daily walk.  The last days around here have been blustery, and when God was passing out the graceful gene, I fell down before I got in line, and so rather than end up splayed out on the sidewalk with a broken leg, I skipped my daily walk.  And man, I've missed it.

Walking, to me, is a religion.  My day is better if I get up, get out, and get walking.  It has become such a habit that if I don't get out there, I can feel the tiny tethers holding me to sanity start to tug loose.  I have walked through sorrow, joy, change, anger and even depression.  To move and let my mind wander allows me to meditate and listen to truths deep within.

Preservationist John Muir said, "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.  Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.  The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and to storms their energy, while cares will drop off like autumn leaves."

I love that:  "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings."  I currently don't live near many mountains--there are some lovely hills in the distance, but none close enough for me to walk to and be home in time to pick up kids from school.  But, I can put on my shoes, lace them up good and tight, bundle up in a warm coat and hit the sidewalk.  Somehow, I feel just as refreshed and energized doing this simple daily act as I do hiking in the mountains.  I can still get "good tidings" from the nature I encounter and feel the light of the sun or the rain or snow, all the while feeling my cares drop off like autumn leaves.

And who couldn't use a few less cares?

Enjoy a walk today.

The A to Z challenge is coming to a close this week.  I hope you have enjoyed the fruits of all those fabulous bloggers out there who have participated.  To catch the last few days, and see what all the buzz is about, click on the link to the right!!

4 comments:

  1. No walk today ... does yard work count? I love being out working in the garden ... I'm definitely feeling some good tidings from the garden!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yard work totally counts!! :) Enjoy digging in the dirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've totally lost any exercise while gone from home and not sure I miss it too much! *S* Love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good idea! I'm so glad I found your blog! I'm stopping by from the A to Z challenge and I look forward to visiting again.

    ReplyDelete