Tuesday, May 31, 2011

'Tis the Season

No, not that season.  'Tis the season for the plethora of yard sales that assail this small town each year. From Memorial Day to well into October, yard sale-ing (not unlike Wassailing) is a favorite Northwest pastime.

Living on the corner of busy and busy, we get many signs nailed into the telephone pole located in our yard.  On any given weekend, unless you are the first, second and third to put up your poster, you are just out of luck as to advertising here.  While I'm not a regular yard sale junkie by any stretch of the imagination, I do love a good deal...
Just this week, as I was painting the kitchen, I found myself perched precariously on a six foot ladder I bought at a yard sale for a dollar.  ONE DOLLAR.  There is true satisfaction from using this ladder over and over that an item off of the dollar menu at McD's will never beat.

As I dust off my dollar ladder every summer in preparation to attack The Master List, I enjoy this simple find again and again.  I often think of that lady who bought an old table at a yard sale and found out it was worth an exorbitant amount of money on Antiques Roadshow--and I wonder if she gets the same thrill out of dusting her table that I get out of dusting off my paint covered ladder...

She probably does.

What are your favorite yard sale finds?



2 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Lisa, I have decorated my house in yard sale!*S* It gives me such a feeling of satisfaction when I make my home feel good and warm knowing that I spent a fraction of what I would have paid retail!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We pretty much lived with yard-saled, trash-picked or hand-me-downed everything for our entire 17 years of schooling. What I'd really like to find is a printer's cabinet - that would be heavenly!

    ReplyDelete