Monday, October 3, 2011

I Dream of IKEA




I have an eight year old boy.

If you've ever been around an eight year old, or have one yourself, you may know that those little boy brains can get fixated on one thing:  Legos.

If he's not playing with Legos, he would like to be playing Lego Harry Potter on the Wii (over my dead body); and if he's not playing Lego HP, he can be found sketching future Lego creations on any spare paper he can find or pouring through Lego dictionaries to make sure he hasn't missed any new sets that may have come out in the last fifteen minutes.

I also think that when he lays his little head to sleep at night that lines of Legos dance through his head like sugar plums, but with less sugar...or maybe he dreams of sugar too just to keep up his strength, who knows?

I used to think this obsessive interest in one topic was a form of, well, obsessiveness.
I considered myself well beyond the focused/obsessive thinking about anything as trivial as building blocks one could put together.

Until this weekend.

Let me just say first that I spend a lot of time on helping others renovate, improve, re-organize, and just spiff up their homes.  This can become problematic in the fact that I'm always on the look-out for the next design phase.  Needless to say, catalogs and home decor magazines are my friends.

This can be problematic when trying to improve your own home.  When we moved into this really old house, we realized its one fatal flaw right away: it only had one closet.  Yes, you read that right.  ONE...and it's not even that big.  The closet situation has been a challenge because I really like clothes, and shoes, and scarves...and, well, you get the picture.

We decided to finally rectify our closet situation this weekend.  IKEA is just a little jaunt down the road from our house and with the help of a rental truck and a bit of a drive, we were in storage solution central.  We spent the better part of the day (5 hours) wandering, looking, planning, laughing and purchasing a huge multi-piece wardrobe that, should the house crumble around us, we can simply move into and be quite comfortable.

After wrestling large, flat, heavy boxes into the truck, tying them down and covering our precious purchases with plastic to protect them from Portlandia's delicate drizzle, we headed home.

On the way, I pulled out the IKEA catalog.
"What are you doing?" Mountain Man asked.
"Looking through the catalog." I answered.
He: "We were just there."
Me: "So what?  I may have missed something."
He: "But you were online every spare minute this month comparing, planning and looking at IKEA stuff."
Me:  "Shhh!  Eat one of those Swedish cookies we just bought, and drive, you are distracting me!!"

I then took out a piece of paper and began sketching exactly how we were going to put the wardrobe/benches/boxes we'd just bought together.

I looked in the back seat at my son who had his Lego dictionary open on his lap.

Dang.

Love IKEA too?
Check this out.  And this.

Do you have any obsessions?

7 comments:

  1. I have hundreds of dollars worth of Legos in my attic. My son started it...but my daughter is the one who created a 3x6 ft. Legoland in the middle of my living room and kept it there for over a year! We've furnished 4 apartments with IKEA for her over the years as well. You know your stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never actually been to IKEA. The closest one to me is about three hours away.

    I love to browse the Pottery Barn catalog, rip out the pages of rooms I like and tape them to the walls of my decidedly un-pottery barn-esque house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you, M.J. I love Pottery Barn too!

    Jan, your daughter's Legoland sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh dear, sounds like he's going to be an engineer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Heheh, okay, I just saw this, so I had to come back.

    http://www.ohdeedoh.com/ohdeedoh/headboards/make-a-lego-headboardanita-roll-157668

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too love ikea. if I could, I would go and live there. those stage rooms are so much better any that I could have put together.

    thanks for the links. they might become obsessions as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with you Lissa...I could move in right now. And Dakota...I'll never show that to my son, there will be no going back after that! :)

    ReplyDelete