Monday, November 14, 2011

The Difference Between a Good Artist and a Great One

There is a woman in my town who paints incredibly beautiful paintings that mirror the beauty of her own soul.  When she has a fair amount of paintings, she peddles them from buyer to buyer in local restaurants in our downtown area.  As I loathe cooking and because I firmly feel that the best way for our economy to recover is to support business, I've taken it upon myself to "do my part" and eat out as often as possible.

I run into Virginia about once a month.  She confidently approaches each table and asks if anyone is interested in purchasing her art.  She is turned down more often than not, but the rejection doesn't seem to phase her, she simply moves on to the next person.

You see, Virginia has down syndrome.  Her paintings only cost $5.00.  For a literal steal, people are given the opportunity to purchase a little slice of heaven and then hang it on their wall.  I don't know of many artists who would charge so little for their work, yet Virginia creates and shares and brings beauty to others, when they are willing to receive it.

We proudly own several Virginia Peacock originals.  We display them on a wall just by our main entrance. It is my privilege to experience their wonder and beauty several times a day, and I am reminded of a poem by the Sufi Master, Hafiz, which says,
The
Difference
Between a good artist
And a great one 

Is:

The novice
Will often lay down his tool
Or brush

Then pick up an invisible club
On the mind's table

And helplessly smash the easels and 
Jade.

Whereas the vintage man
No longer hurts himself or anyone

And keeps on
Sculpting

Light.


What brought you joy today?

  

7 comments:

  1. What a charming story, and even better that it's true. What a sweet girl, I would definitely buy her paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Karen, her art is amazingly beautiful, I know you'd enjoy it! Hmm...maybe I should have a giveaway!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa, this blog post made my morning. The story, the poem, the painting all warm my heart. I'd like to take a look at some of her paintings...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to scan her other paintings in and post them all--they are truly beautiful and pure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Melissa, I just found this online, our local paper did a story on her...

    http://union-bulletin.com/stories/2011/7/23/a-peacock-paints

    ReplyDelete