Wednesday, December 28, 2011

January is coming, and so is small stones writing month.

Last January, I participated in small stones writing month.  A small stone is a polished moment of paying proper attention.  During the last two cycles of small stone writing, (last January and July 2011) I posted my small stones on my blog.  This cycle, I'll be writing my stones in a small book I made.  It looks like this:





This has been one heck of a year over here in the Square Tooth/Mountain Man clan.  It's been filled with many blessings and peaceful moments as well as some pretty rough patches--but, who's year hasn't?  I've felt like a top spinning out of control for the last 10 months.  I'm ready to reconnect, slow down, and pay attention.  

The best part about writing small stones everyday is that the process of writing them provides me with the opportunity to focus on the present moment.  The only way to truly describe what writing small stones is like is to borrow the words of Hafiz:
Pray
To be humble
So that God does not
Have to appear stingy.

O pray to be honest, 
Strong, 
Kind, 
And pure, 

So that the Beloved is never miscast
As a cruel great miser.

I know you have a hundred complex cases
Against God in court, 

But never mind, wayfarer, 
Let's just get out of this mess

And pray to be loving and humble
So that the Friend will be forced to reveal

Himself 
So

Near! 
 
The process of writing anything can be powerful--(sometimes it's just for the writer, not the reader, but hopefully both.) Writing small stones can shine light on the miracles that live in each moment.  
 
Join me, won't you?

Want to find out more about writing small stones, Click here.

4 comments:

  1. I was trying to write what was weighing on my heart an hour ago. I see that a 'small stone' will say it better. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for small stones! Happy New Year, Susan!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a beautiful notebook... hope to use this on the blog sometime. Good to have you with us again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. great mini-journal Lisa
    this is my first time participating in river of stones and i'm looking forward to meeting other bloggers in the process
    i'm writing mine in a small journal, then scattering mine online between the blog, fb and twitter

    ReplyDelete