Friday, January 13, 2012

Just Don't

Yesterday, I was able to run a few errands and hit in the grocery store.  While checking out, the cashier began making comments on what I was purchasing.  At first it was innocuous and even nice--things like, "Oh! I love almonds!" but then things took a dark turn.

In my cart was a book (50% off, by the way) about detoxing with whole foods.  You know, the perfect book for January of a new year.  The wee cashier said, "Mind if I take a look?" then thumbed through the book while 6 other people waited in line behind me.  Then she looked at me and said, "Do you think this will help?"

Now, I'm no beauty queen, and 40 is just around the corner, but seriously, little lady??   I stood there in the shadow of shock and awe, my mouth hanging open.  I uttered something like, "I'm kind of in a rush, would you mind?" and pointed to my almonds, and my book and I fled.

Perhaps she was curious.  Perhaps she needed to chat and didn't know how to start the conversation--and that's ok.  Because I realize that her question wasn't about me--it was about her--because people sometimes spew their crazy out there in the world and it's never about you or me, it's always about the spew-er.  So this gives me a little grace in how I reacted; but when life presents you with an opportunity to comment on other people's lives, choices or groceries, here's one phrase to remember, "Just don't."



Has anyone asked you any inappropriate questions lately?

9 comments:

  1. why were you checking out the cashier?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Self- Checkout, LISA! Don't have to talk to the Cashier that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just don't especially when there are 6 people waiting inline to check out, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. MARY! I don't shop at WALMART, and Safeway doesn't have it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't stand it when cashiers make comments about my groceries.

    ReplyDelete
  6. People are always asking me inappropriate questions but this one time (in band camp) there was a woman behind me in the line at a drug store (I was still bagging my crap.) The clerk asked her if she had her senior citizens discount card with her. Well, the woman FREAKED. "I'M ONLY 42 YEARS OLD ... BLAH, BLAH, BLAH..." This woman looked like she was rode hard and put away wet, tougher than a bottle of bleach. She had a mouth on her like a trucker. I didn't enjoy her discomfiture one bit ... heheheheheheheheh ... Best thing? I was 50 at the time and she never asked me... (heheheheh)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Usually I am pretty invisible, unless I decide to interact.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Susan, I WISH I had that ability. It's like people seek me out to say weird stuff...maybe I need to change my energy or something!

    ReplyDelete