Monday, January 30, 2012

Where to Find a Cocktail party with Less Drunkenness and Better Small Talk

I had a strange experience on Friday evening.  It was about 6 p.m. and I walked into a Verizon store to snag a new cover for my phone--I'm not a Verizon customer, but I knew they had the case I needed for my lame pay-as-you-go phone that if anyone sees in my hand, I just tell them it's my daughter's so I don't get mocked.  Anyway, while I was waiting for them grab a case from the back room, I was amazed at the party-like atmosphere in the store.  


What were all these people doing here?  I moved into to eavesdrop on a couple standing near the counter.  A sales associate and this couple were discussing gigabytes.  Now I realize (to a small extent) that gigabytes matter and play a roll in our daily lives in every increasing ways, but really, on a Friday evening after work?  You got off at 5 and thought, "Hey, I think I'll head down to the Verizon store to talk with Melissa the sale associate about gigabytes!"  Really?

I moved onto the next person,  looking interested in the phone chargers on the wall.  This guy was excitedly discussing new phone apps with his sale associate.  Again, really?  On a Friday night?

Now, before we go much further, I realize that I was in that store on a Friday evening--but I was treating my task like what it was:  an errand.  I wanted to get in, get out, and get home.  I was blown away by the party like atmosphere--it felt like a cocktail party, but with less drunkenness and better small talk.

The whole "let's look at phones, discuss gigabytes and goo over phone apps!" confused me at first...but then, I wondered...

What would happen if grocery shopping were as pleasant, party-like and enjoyable as phone shopping?

 

Maybe those Verizon customers really knew how to find the joy on a Friday night.

What made you laugh today?

8 comments:

  1. Looks like you discovered Geek Party Land.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have!! And I'm so relieved! I was lonely...:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That song is on my ipod and I would totally dance to it ANYWHERE!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I LOVE that video! So terrrrrrrific! Am gonna dance the next time I go shopping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved this! Makes me want to jump up and dance right here and now. Well, let me click 'publish' first.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This video was awesome! I wish more folks would dance in the grocery store! I dance all the time. You just can't be sad or mad when you're dancin'! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't it fun? It just makes me smile to see it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's my KIND of grocery shopping! Makes me smile too! I love that song! Maybe next time I'm grocery shopping I might just do a little dance! :)

    ReplyDelete