Monday, February 27, 2012

When To Let Things Go

I am a champion on those who have no voice--after all I've got more voice than most humans on this planet-- it's the Greek in me.  

I will defend, advocate, stand up for, shake down, and even turn the other cheek while letting my feelings be made known.  I am an advocate for children, the homeless, and those who would rather remain silent.  One of the traits I admire most about Mountain Man is his ability to get fired up, then let it all go into the universe never to trouble him again.  You'd think he'd be more like William Wallace and all those kilt wearing, fight to the death Scotsmen of whence he comes, but no, he is peaceable to the soul.  He is what I consider "Christlike."

I, on the other hand, fit Christ's likeness in only one way--remember when he cleared out the temple and got all riled up about the money changers?  That's me.  I'm outraged when those who have no voice get trampled on.  In the words of Jewel, "Where there's a man who has no voice, there will I go singing."

I can't help myself.  World affairs make me passionate and the passion moves me to action.  What if I channel my inner Zen so much that I am moved to look at a problem and say, "That's interesting..." then merrily make my way down the road and don't give the issue a second thought?  What if by choosing to let things go I leave behind the gift that makes me, well, me?

I teach all the time that each of us were given personality traits, talents and uniqueness for a reason.  None of us are supposed to be the same.  In the great cosmic scope of things the Universe delights in great variety, in all its forms, and in the words of the Dalai Lama, "People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.  Just because they're not on your road doesn't mean they've gotten lost."  There are as many roads to being human as there are humans.

I live in the smallest town in all of America.  At least that is the way it feels to me.  It is the smallest place I've ever lived and there are some wonderful things about living here--in many ways I adore it.  On the other hand, I find myself constantly surprised by the--shall we call it "familial"--(like an all knowing Aunt would speak to a niece) ways that people speak about, and to, one another.  Maybe the size of the town makes me more aware of it, but I believe there are small minds just about everywhere.

And by small minded, I mean those who are just plain mean.  So if you're reading this, and you live in this small town, and you are wondering if I'm writing about you: Take care, friend.  I'm not.  The mean ones don't read this blog, and anyway, they're too busy sharpening their daggers of witless malice on their whetstone of low self esteem.

Besides, I could try to channel my inner Mountain Man all the live long day, but in the end, who am I kidding?
I'll never back down.




When is it time to let things go?  

22 comments:

  1. Phew - glad I read this today because as you know I live in the same small town :). You are much more out there than I am - and are a people magnet. I'm sorry that people are stupid and mean but they have met their match in you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm never up for a fight, I just run away...I just feel so beaten down today...

      Delete
    2. I will beat them up for you just point me in the right direction!

      Delete
    3. Jeanne, where's the "like" button!? ;)

      Delete
  2. Remind me to stay on your good side. LOVE THIS: "sharpening their daggers of witless malice on their whetstone of low self esteem."

    Also, love that you never back down. I never back down either. Well, not unless someone sits on me. Then it's more butt down than back down.

    What small town? What's its name? How small? Bet my small town is smaller than your small town... actually we live in a place with a population of 16,000 but before we moved here we lived in a village with a population of 900 - and that included Farmer Max's herd of goats and one pet deer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's only 40,000 so compared to your hamlet of 900, it's a freakin' metropolis!!! :)

      Delete
  3. I went from NY to Las Vegas to Prescott Wa which IS the smallest town on earth I am sure, and on one hand I am constantly amazed when I walk in a store in Walla Walla or Tri Cities and get consistent good customer service which is sorely lacking in large cities. On the other hand you are right that many are very stuck in their ways and I am definitely used to people being more excepting and open minded about things in Vegas especially. On the other hand (I have 3) the generosity of people out here is amazing and I am talking about strangers. So weighing all things I would rather raise my kids here but teach them to be open minded and tolerant (could Mountain man raise my kids thru the teenage years?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mountain Man is the shaman of the land!!! :) I'm sure he'd gladly help them channel their inner Zen and shoot things too...:)

      Delete
    2. And teach them to mount a zombie defense.

      Delete
    3. They like to shoot stuff and I wish someone could teach all of us to find our inner Zen. We are a high strung bunch!

      Delete
  4. When I realize that hollow repetive sound I hear is my head bashing against the uncaring, unrelentless, knowing and unknowing thoughtlessness, hatefulness, selfishness and every other negativeness that Satan and his demon spawn have put into the hearts of men. When I remember that only by turning my voice inward and upward will there be any relief from the hollow repetitive sound...

    But it doesn't mean I don't keep checking to see if He needs my help in the matter on occasion, I just stop worrying at it like a dog to a bone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen, Sister Friend!! ;) That's the only peace, isn't it??

      Delete
  5. "we who lived in the concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing:

    The last of his freedoms-to choose one's attitude in any given circumstances, to choose one's own way."

    viktor e. frankle in man's search for meaning

    the mountain man seemed to know this from birth, the rest of us are still learning

    ReplyDelete
  6. The joy of small towns is also its curse: everyone knows everyone, and knows their history and secrets. It is hard not to spiral inward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try everyday to pull myself back up, but I'm feeling so beaten down!!

      Delete
  7. I don't live in a small town but I know lots of small minded people who spend a great deal of time sharpening daggers. Sad for them. They are not happy. In the mean time, I am. :)

    Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mamacita! We must elevate happiness!!!

      Delete
  8. Lisa,
    Enjoyed this today! I don't think letting things go means to let your passion go (or even your short-lived anger but to let things go that gnaw at your soul. Yes, I live in this small town(and boy is it SMALL!) and I rarely see you so I didn't think I was one of the mean people! :) Stay true to who you are because there is no one else in this town, country or world just exactly like you and we'd miss you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Sharon! You are NOT one of the mean!! In fact, I don't even see you enough to scream out your name across the church parking lot!!! Safe travels!!

      Delete
  9. You're right there are lots of small minded people everywhere - they do not just stick to small towns - the good thing is there are more big brained and big- hearted people out there and they're the ones we need to get to know. Keep on speaking up for the voiceless - it's great that you can't help yourself! I often find I'm speaking up for the invisible women I worked with for years in prison. People get sick of me I'm sure but I'm not giving up. No way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never give up! I find that I have to re-center myself, take a deep breath and just keep going, then along the path I get my second wind...

      Delete