Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Know the Signs: Claustrophobia

You may be Claustrophobic if you find yourself in a tight space, like a closet, submarine, or car trunk and you are short of breath and trying to get out.  Of course, you may be a spy and that's why you are in said closet/submarine/trunk, but if you are having a panic attack, you may need to reassess your chosen profession and consider a job at a check cashing facility--which undoubtedly would give you the same thrill, yet not force you into a tight space where you begin screaming, "GET ME OUUUUUUUT NOOOOOOWWWW!!!!!!"

I, myself, am a non-practicing claustrophobic.  Non-practicing because I am not foolish enough to get myself closed up in a car trunk or submarine without a handful of Valium.  Of course, the one time I was put in a car trunk I was in the middle of unraveling the iron curtain in 1989 (yes, I was a teenage spy--ask anyone at North Jr. High)  and thanks to my trusty Swiss Army knife, that trunk and I didn't have time to get to know each other very well.

I am such a non-practicing Claustrophobic that I don't even really even like to think about car trunks, bank vaults, or deep sea submersibles because I break out into a cold, clammy sweat...which is why I handed in my spy credentials at 16 and pursued the stage instead.

What makes you feel claustrophobic?

26 comments:

  1. Hi...I'm hopping over from the A to Z Challenge. Lovely blog...it made me chuckle...;0)

    Good luck with the challenge!

    Donna Martin
    www.donasdays.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Donna! Nice to meet you! Good luck to you too!!

      Delete
  2. non practicing claustrophobic. Heehee. I think I might be one myself, though I haven't gotten into any closed spaces yet to confirm this fact.
    Great A-Z post!
    Nutschell
    www.thewritingnut.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you haven't squeezed into any tight spaces, then you are definitely a non practicing claustrophobic...welcome to the club. :)

      Delete
  3. I HAVE to sit in an aisle seat...anything other than that and I start to feel squeamish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. rude people makes me feel claustrophobic. and not just their words.

    nice fun post, great for A-Z challenge. now I have to think of C word to post.

    hope you're having a sweet spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lissa, I am TOTALLY with you! The rudies make me cra-zay claustrophobic.
      Happy spring!

      Delete
  5. It's heights that get me - I haven't got enough room for other phobia!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those make me sweat too...ok, now I'm a non practicing heightphobic...what's the word for fear of heights?? :)

      Delete
  6. I like the theme and am intrigued to find out what other things you will be teaching me to know the signs of :)

    RJRdaydreamer

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the fun feel of this post. Can't really say that claustrophobia is a problem for me. It's bats that get to me. Scared. To. Death. Of course if I were to be stuck in a car trunk or a submarine with a bat, claustrophobia might become a problem....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bats aren't scary to me unless they are trying to suck my blood--which is all the time. So, ok, I'm scared of bats too....

      Delete
  8. Hey....I was a teenage spy also. What a small world!! :)

    DL Hammons @ Cruising Altitude 2.0
    Co-Host of the Blogging from A to Z Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DL, NO WAY!!! We should totally get together and and talk shop--like how many ways we can render someone unconscious in under 10 seconds!! ;)

      Delete
  9. i think i must have and maybe still do suffer some type of of claustrophobia--we also share the love of stage--great post

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know of a few people who are really scared about these confined spaces. They even go to the extend of screaming :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo, you sound like a fellow spy who has pushed someone into one of those confined spaces...or a big brother/sister. :)

      Delete
  11. Love that you are not practicing! Those inflatable giant hamster ball things that humans can crawl in make me uncomfortable...just looking at them...eeeeyikes! Crowded buses don't give me warm fozzies either! New follower from the a-z!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those hamster things are the freakiest things mankind has EVER come up with!! I can't even think about them without getting short of breath!
      Nice to meet you!

      Delete
  12. Non-practicing: that is great! I am indeed claustrophobic, but the closet is my nemesis.

    ReplyDelete
  13. And here I thought that Claustrophobia had to do with being afraid of Santa Claus. Just shows you how much a Bear knows. Or how little.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi, funny post, and it also hits home. I am a bit claustrophobic! I always feel the need to sit at the end of a row, and ever, never in the middle. I'm visiting from the A to Z fest at #1146 should you want to come say hi. Cheers, Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  15. crowds make me feel claustrophobic even in large spaces. Your personal space shrinks so much when you are crushed among hundreds of other humans... or may I am just extremely anti-social :)

    *~ MAJK ~*
    Safireblade.com
    A to Z Challenge

    ReplyDelete