Monday, April 9, 2012

Know the Signs: Heroes

Knowing the signs of a hero is important because when a masked man wearing underwear over his clothes comes running up to you, it is important to tell the difference between him, and the most recent escapee from the loony bin.

Of course, not all heroes wear their underwear over their clothes, some wear it under their clothes, like my brother, Scott, who can make a person laugh faster than a speeding bullet, and take the sting out of life's disappointments with some well thought words of kindness.

Then there's my friend, Clover.  She is the most fashionable hero I know, but she isn't a hero because she is a fashionista.  She is a hero because she can make the sun shine in the midst of any personal darkness.  She can peel back the brown and spotted outer layer of a situation, person or thought and cast it aside like a bruised banana skin, so that all you have left is the creamy perfect fruit underneath; and that takes superpowers.

There are dozens of other heroes I know personally.  They lift the hands that hang down, comfort, cheer, mourn with, and love others through their perfect amazing grace.

I've long since believed that there are three types of people: victims, survivors, and heroes. Victims are those who have taken life's lessons and turned themselves into the martyr of their own stories; nothing goes right for them and nothing ever can.  Their thoughts have bound them in a jail of unbelief stronger than any bars ever could.

Survivors have taken life's experiences and they have surmounted them just high enough to breathe.  They are (in their own words) "Just getting by."  They feel that there is never enough money, time, energy, joy, hope or love, in spite of the fact that the Universe's abundance is knocking on their door with the persistence of two nineteen-year-old Mormon missionaries.

Heroes are people who have not only broken their heads above circumstance, but have taken life's experiences and turned them into opportunities to learn, grow, and find more love.  They hear the knocking at the door, and rush to it, barrel past the threshold and seize the abundance that awaits.  They fly high, contemplate opportunities, consider others, and lift those around them to higher ground.

Knowing the signs of a hero is important to our happiness and well being here on earth.  Heroes shape us for good.  Heroes show us the way to hope.  Heroes lift, encourage, and love--and here is the interesting thing: all of us have been victims, survivors and heroes during the journey.  The question is: if we find ourselves a victim or "just getting by", how long we are going to spend in the vat of toxic waste before we decide to get out?

Who is your hero?




23 comments:

  1. What a beautiful post :) And so true. I've thought about 'strength' for a while. My hero is my dad. He's 70 and has survived several types of cancer, the most recent one a huge tumor last december. He just always bounces back and is so much fun to be around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beautiful! I love that it's your dad!!!

      Delete
  2. Being a victim is such a miserable way of life, voice of experience here. Fortunately I've been fortunate enough to move on past it and now try to stick with the heroes in life. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post. Made me think. I've been a victim, am a survivor and am working on hero.
    My hero is my Dad. He has a huge, kind heart and so much more. Suffice it to say, I adore him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the victim, survivor, hero cycle goes round and round our whole lives, and that's a good thing. Maybe each time we go around it again, we spend a little less time on the first two and a bit more being a hero.
      I love that your hero is your dad!!!

      Delete
  4. Wonderful post... My hero, is my father. May he rest in peace, I only got to know him three months before he was gone, those were the best/worst months ever.

    Happy... to the challenge "H" is for Harmonious!
    Jeremy [Retro-Zombie]
    A to Z Co-Host
    My New Book:
    Retro-Zombie: Art and Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally get the best/worst months ever part...love that your hero is your dad!

      Delete
  5. This is such a wonderful, thought-provoking post! My husband is my hero - he's the most positive, supportive, hopeful, good, kind man I know. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nicely done! Love this post. My hero? Well, first that comes to mind is Jesus Christ. If only I could be one-millionth as amazing ... Second that comes to mind is my grandmother. If only I could be one-millionth as strong ...

    Anyhow - thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE that!!! If we could all be one-millionth as cool as Jesus this world would rock even more!!!

      Delete
  7. Cindy is my hero! For obvious reasons :)
    http://abcnews.go.com/WN/woman-rare-disease-reaches-top-everest/story?id=10796741#.T4OC4u3RphM

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post actually inspires me to be a hero of my very own, and hopefully to others! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perfect, Andrea!! You already are!!

      Delete
  9. My husband is my hero. He is loving, kind, intelligent; he drives me crazy, and I would be lost without him.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am totally with you, Susan! I love that your husband is your hero!

      Delete
  10. My mother was a victim, in the literal and internal sense of the word. She became a martyr in the pitiful and the self-sacrificing sense for most of her life. She became a survivor of many of life's rocky roads, stepping out of her victim's cloak late in life. She was finally able to shed all those roles and become a hero as she looked back on all she had done and what had been done to her and saw that while it may not have all been good she was better for it.

    Her example of enduring to the end makes her my hero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's all about the journey. Each of us go through the cycle again and again, and I'm so glad she is a hero to you!!

      Delete
  11. Very interesting post. To me the best hero is the one who doesn't know it or at least won't admit they are one.

    Tereas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like that, Tereas--and I agree!

      Delete
  12. Lisa,
    You are so right. We choose who we want to be. I know a lot of "victims". I want to be a hero to others.

    Excellent post.

    ReplyDelete