Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Know the Signs: Ignorance

I am so ignorant that I don't know what it is I don't know that I don't know.  So knowing the signs of ignorance is key in order to avoid many common pitfalls that the ignorant experience on a daily basis.  While most of my "Know the Signs" posts have been replete with pointing out the obvious, today's post will include not only the signs of ignorance, but also the tried and true method to dispel ignorance from our lives entirely.

Lofty, huh?

The signs of ignorance include:

  • Not knowing which fork/spoon/napkin/scalpel to use during a fancy dinner.
  • Not replacing the empty toilet paper roll with a full one.
  • Talking on your cell phone while driving/in the line at the drugstore/while on a date--(and it's not to your date, or worse, you are on a date, talking to potential date about your date.)
  • Not bathing/shaving/tweezing/BATHING...bathe, really please people..... baaaaathe.
  • Gazing at other people's body parts longingly/lecherously.
  • Yelling from your car window, "Nice _____!!"...you get the idea.
  • Asking if you can speak to my husband about negotiating a bill (...seriously dude? What century is this??)
  • leaving your furniture/old clothes/broken house goods on the corner where you live with a "$200 OBO" sign on them, and truly believing that some git will actually pay you $200 for your trash.
  • Thinking that everyone believes the same way that you do.
  • Believing that you do know everything.
There is actually a simple fix for all of the above examples of ignorance:  they are called books, dear friends*.  Barnes & Noble has an ENTIRE section devoted to etiquette (proper knife/spoon/scalpel usage during fancy dinners), housekeeping (toilet paper replacement), technology (cell phone usage), hygiene (bathing), and just about anything else you can think of.

If for some reason you can't afford Barnes & Noble during these tough economic times, there is a lovely little place called the public library that offers books, videos, microfiche, periodicals and often even lectures on topics you may be in need of.  
And the best part?  IT'S FREE!!!

Recently, someone told me that they just weren't that good at communicating.  This was after a painful exchange where they had said things to another human that no person should utter out loud.  They were using their ignorance as an excuse for their bad behavior, and when they were trying to justify it to me, the Greek in me exclaimed, (arms wildly gesticulating) "Friend, TAKE A CLASS.  There are lovely people who can teach you to communicate like gentleman instead of an ABSOLUTE GIT."

I don't know if he's taken me up on my advice.
  
But I do know this:  if you realize that there's something you don't know, you have the power to fix it.  
Annnnnd, if you aren't sure what it is, ask your mother...she'll tell you.    


*READING this or any content based blog disqualifies you from ignorance from the basic fact that you are READING. (Have I mentioned how important READING is to combating ignorance?)  Please feel free to pass this post along to any whom you believe to be afflicted, as bad or offending news usually comes better from a complete stranger.  You can then plead "justifiable ignorance" when they accuse you of accusing them of being ignorant and say something like, "I didn't realize I'd sent you that blog link about ignorance in your inbox...!"  I'll never tell...


How do you combat ignorance?  


20 comments:

  1. So what's the solution for not having enough time to read all the books about all the things you (I!) want to become no-longer-ignorant about?? That's MY problem :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I combat ignorance in my house by being an example and providing lots of trips to bookstores, libraries and the occasional Amazon gift card - so far, we're 6 for 6 in raising book lovers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for book lovers, but I can't seem to get anybody to change the darn TP roll...

      Delete
  3. Funny post! My favorite cure for ignorance is the library. Or, if I'm feeling especially lazy, Jeopardy. But I can't recall Alex Trebek ever addressing the personal hygiene issue.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows what he talks about behind closed doors....;)

      Delete
  4. Love it Lisa! We seem to have some of these problems where I live, and when I shared your post with my roommates each exclaimed we love her. To which I wanted to say "if you agree change the roll and shower more often" but I didn't perhaps I do need to go get a book about it all... Love your know the signs!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should have just said it, unless you plan on living with them again...

      Delete
  5. Although I agree with most of your points, frankly, I don't care whether other people think I'm using the wrong fork or spoon. (File that under arrogance, not ignorance; I know the general rule of using utensils from the outside in.) Life's too short to be petty.

    How do I combat ignorance? I make my son look up information himself (including how to spell a word or what it means) so he'll remember in the future.

    Love the post.

    Erin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Erin, I don't really care about any of the points in the post except for the last two....I plead arrogance and ignorance on breaking ALL the suggested signs of ignorance all the time...well, except for bathing. I really REALLY like to be clean, but I don't really care if other people are...;)

      Delete
    2. Oh and yelling lewdness from my car...that's just gross. ;)

      Delete
  6. Lisa,
    Not replacing the toilet paper -- You call it ignorance. I call it "selective seeing". How is it that people (meaning my family) can leave the empty toilet paper and not change it when the fresh roll is RIGHT there????

    How is it that they can leave their messy dishes right there or not put away their clean clothes or not pick up dirty towels off the floor????

    OK...I'm done ranting. :0) I feel better now.

    The Write Soil
    1st Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooo "selective seeing" that! Rant away dear Dawn! Ranting improves blood circulation and all around mood...:)

      Delete
  7. There's ignorance, as in I don't know something. Then there's being ignorant. Like when you go to get the chips and there are 7 chips left in the bag or there is 1.5 oz. of juice left in the carton. Someone in my house used to leave three sheets of toilet paper on the roll so he could say it wasn't empty when he used It last. Because he though that was an hysterical joke.

    I do my part by teaching them the proper way to do things. And by helping them learn the consequences of the "When mama ain't happy ain't nobody happy" law that occasionally reigns in our house. It isn't that I know everything, or that I think I know everything, but I know ignorant, or ignernt if you will, and do my part by stamping it out in my own home whenever possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keep stamping, and I'm with you!!

      Delete
  8. Combat ignorance? Same way you combat everything else — with an M-16. That's pretty simple.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! My Mountain Man follows your line of thinking...but I'm a lover, not a fighter. :)

      Delete
  9. Love the inclusion of folks who think they know evy thing as being ignorant..LOVE IT...so close to home this week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those who think they DO know everything ARE the really ignorant ones, and I think I'm with you on this subject hitting close to home this week! ;)

      Delete
  10. Yep... the list goes on...leaving the toilet seat up, not knowing how to use the hoover, especially the bathing one - getting on a packed train first thing in the morning and the person beside you reeks of body odour...really? Breezing by on the A-Z train, blessings, Amanda

    Amanda - Realityarts-Creativity
    Art Blog

    ReplyDelete