Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Know the Signs: Obfuscation

Obfuscation is a favorite word in our house.  Mountain Man and I tend to yell it as our children are leaving the house for the day.  "Remember, don't obfuscate!!"  Eschewing obfuscation is important because we want our kids to know that we don't want them to grow up to be liars, or politicians...oh wait, that's the same thing.

I kind of consider myself an expert at recognizing when people lie.  Seriously, I should have been an CIA interrogator, or a Claire's Boutique manager, 'cause I can see a lying shoplifter a mile away.

My keen powers of knowing when someone is lying to me comes from the fact that I've re-read "The Definitive Book of Body Language" by Allan & Barbara Pease about 40 million times.  And just as never missing an episode of E.R. makes me a doctor, and having a mom who is a dental hygienist make me an expert on teeth, by shear devotion, I am an expert on body language...or at least I can sound like I am, even if I have no idea what I'm talking about.

For instance, did you know that women lie better than men?  Well, duh.  Was there anyone who believed that Bill Clinton "didn't have sexual relations with that woman" ?  On the other hand, I would believe ANYTHING Betty White told me, even if it wasn't true.  But who are we kidding?  Betty White would never lie.

Some body language clusters of lying include: covering your mouth, scratching your nose, rubbing your eyes, scratching your neck, and pulling on your collar.  So if you're chatting away and see someone start of do one of the above, beware, you may have a liar on your hands.

Or, they might just have allergies.
Then you need to get them some Benadryl.

Can you spot a liar?

32 comments:

  1. There really are a lot of great O words. O and S.
    I can never tell if a person is lying by their gestures but the thing is they usually hang themselves by messing up their logic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liars usually always get themselves caught!

      Delete
  2. You are so funny!
    This is the second post that mentioned Betty White today. I'd believe anything she told me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm 6'2" tall, 210 lbs, run like a gazelle and can lift twice my body weight! Truth...or am I lying? Go ahead....use your magical powers on me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 6'3, 120 lbs, competed in the last Winter Olympic games and star in my own reality show...;)

      Delete
  4. I like to believe I can spot a liar! It's all about trusting your gut feeling for me. I on the other hand am an awful liar, it's pretty pathetic. I guess if the world depended on it I COULD lie...I just can't in my personal life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't lie either...so in my book you are in good company! ;)

      Delete
  5. Not always. I'm a little too trusting. My kids, however, absolutely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm great at spotting a liar...BUT...only when it is someone really close to me.

    Stopping by from the A to Z Challenge!

    Giggle, Laugh, Cry

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm good at spotting liars because I'm a good liar (but I rarely, if ever, lie) I would believe anything Betty White told me too! LOVE THAT.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know!! She has the MOST trusting face! I also would like to receive bad news from her if I had to...

      Delete
  8. I doubt I would be able to spot a liar. I'm so bad at understanding people's gestures.

    & all those symptoms? I have and do all those things when I'm nervous and I have allergies. but I'm a terrible liar anyway.

    have a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. p.s., how do you chose your A-Z challenge words? you always make everything sound so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Usually it's always around the dinner table the night before. I see what makes my family laugh and then decide...I think I originally was going to go with "obsession" for O...but then we started laugh about how I think I can "read" anyone...

      Delete
    2. that must be fun! thanks for your reply.

      Delete
  10. Absolutely. The ones that get me are the ones who are sincere in their gestures of affection or friendship and turn out to be not. I'm not sure if that's really a lie or just a schmuck. But lie to me about something and I see it a mile away. My daughter hates it she still can't get away with anything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are just schmucks, and liars too...I bet Betty White could take 'em!

      Delete
  11. No, I cannot generally spot a liar. If I already know you, however, then yes, I can usually tell when you're lying. So, my lie detector malfunctions with strangers, I suppose. Furthermore, I found it quite entertaining how you could teach me something and make me laugh all in the same post.

    Cheers!

    ~Nicole
    Blog: The Madlab Post
    *My latest A to Z posts include L for Love / M for Matrimony / N for Neighbors from Hell*
    @MadlabPost on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a friend who just goes with "everyone is lying"..it works for her.
      So nice to meet you!!

      Delete
  12. I am not observant enough to spot a liar or even a criminal! :) Great post; I would definitely believe anything Betty White said as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! She could tell me ANYTHING and I'd believe it!

      Delete
  13. I have never heard this word before! I am not only learning signs from you this month, but also just new things in general. I am slightly concned now, as I do have allergies and now wonder how many fine folk think I am a compulsive liar!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't worry Andrea, runny noses and puffy eyes are NOT signs of lying...:)

      Delete
  14. Love the O word. Your post is so funny. I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love learning new words and I will definitely be using this one in the near future! Thanks for stopping by my blog and I'm following you back. Looking forward to reading your future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I had no idea what obfuscation meant. I sort of thought it was a pimple does before it blows.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think I'll use that word in my next conversation with someone -lol!

    I'm just sitting here eating and enjoying reading your post. Very funny!



    http://bettyalark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete