Monday, April 23, 2012

Know the Signs: Tangent

A tangent is defined as a sudden digression or change of course during a conversation.  Of course, a tangent is also a line, curve or surface meeting another line, curve or surface at a common point--which reminds me, have I mentioned how much I detest math?

Math was put on earth to torment liberal arts students--of this I am sure.  I suffered through years of math only to realize the story that high school math teachers tell us (namely that, "You will use math everyday!") is a nothing more than a BIG, FAT, LIE.  

Speaking of big and fat, I gained like a gazillion pounds with my first baby.  She was HUGE. I blame her completely for the fact that I will never be able to wear a bikini because I had to have an emergency c-section and even with a c-section I was in labor for 24 hours beforehand.  

Labor is the worst thing in the world.  Mountain Man had a kidney stone once and claims that the pain was so bad that it was like labor, at which point I smacked him on the head for his sheer stupidity.  

Oh! And I saw this news story all about head injuries.  There was a kid who was riding his bike and he had a helmet on.  He was camping with his family and had stopped under a tree when a huge bolt of lightening hit the tree he was standing under and it came down on his head.  Lucky for him, he was wearing a helmet and didn't die because his head was protected.  

So the point of this blog post?  I have no idea.  But you should really know the signs.  

Do you go off on tangents easily?   

17 comments:

  1. I tend to go off on tangents in my own mind. One thought leads to another idea which leads to a reminder I need to do something, etc. I have to keep reeling myself back in. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter always says to me: "Where did that come from... what did that have to do with what we were just talking about?"

    Tangent brings back so many math memories! I simply adore that word! Never was that great at math; however, I wanted to be! I thought math was a great challenge - think I lost a few strands of hair during the course of learning it.

    I know; regarding your labor comment. Labor is nothing I ever desire to go through twice. I actually desired to have 7 children, however once, really did change my mind!

    Great one for "T". Thanks for the memory and the lesson!
    http://bettyalark.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Betty--and you're right, labor sucks. ;)

      Delete
  3. Yep, I'm guilty of going off on tangents. I tend to go from one to another really fast and then ask my husband a question. When he asks what I'm talking about, I usually reply, "I thought it was obvious."

    Ellie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Why can't they keep up!!?

      Delete
  4. ...loved the story of the helmet. It reminds me of the time I...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mountain Man for the win :)
    Having done both, more than once, the pain is comparable and labor gives you a much nicer outcome :)
    And if you saw my basement currently, you would know that I am the queen of projects and all their tangents :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was always into the arts and I remember my math teacher saying to me I only was bad at match because I thought I was....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...at which point I would tell him/her where to go and then do an interpretive dance about how much I hate it. :)

      Delete
  7. Sometimes I am stunned by how fast I go from point a to point gee how did I. Get here?! Love this post of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I more than once have stopped mid-sentence and said, " I forgot what I was talking about." and I'm one of the worst for being able to stay on task while trying to get things done around here, which is a tangent in itself....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hilarious! Excellent example of going off on tangents. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post made me laugh out loud, brilliant & I loved the fact he got a slap too. How you finding the a to z challenge, can’t quite believe almost at the end
    Kay
    @1_Lovelife
    http://www.1lovelife.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  11. my tangents are different, they are silent ones. I go on days on not speaking out loud and then follow by cursing and trying not to talk at the same time.

    this reminds me of a Amy Tan book in which the main character loses her voice at a certain time and told everyone that is by choice and that it is her silent retreat to refresh herself.

    actually reading people's blog makes my mind want to go on a tangent & veer off to silly thoughts and stuff.

    I'm glad for paragraph breaks and speech breaks or else, no one can understand what I'm saying.

    have a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete