Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Know the Signs: Vegetarian

Growing up, vegetarians were held in the same regard as liberals and hippies, and the greatest insult our dad could fling about was that we were like those "Damn hippies in San Fransisco," where he and my mom lived after they were first married.

Little did my dad know that his one and only daughter would one day become all three of the things he detested most.  Being a square-toothed-liberal-hippy-vegetarian-feminist-Mormon-gypsy (and apparently, pirate) hasn't always been easy, but like Jesus never said, but Mae West did, "I never said it would be easy, I only said it would be worth it."
I've always kind of enjoyed the road less traveled.  

Knowing the signs of Vegetarianism is surprisingly easy.  If you find yourself gagging at the sight/smell/thought of eating meat, then you may be a Vegetarian.

Other signs of being a vegetarian include eating a lot of fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes.

It's a pretty short list.

On the other hand, if you find yourself fantasizing about animal flesh, begin salivating at the thought of rare beef, and come from a long line of ranchers, then you may be my husband. He enjoys filching and twisting quotes from Discover Magazine and threw this little gem at me last night:
"One percent of Americans are practicing Vegetarians, and a half percent are Vegan--and a mere 10% are vegetarian informed, meaning they may occasionally eat meat, but enjoy it a lot less than I do."    --Mountain Man 
Poor guy.
If only he'd known the signs.


How do you feel about Vegetarianism?  (Be honest, there's no judging here, friends.)  


21 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That made me lough right out loud so hard I couldn't even use the abbreviation!!!

      Delete
  2. I'm eating an asparagus, HAM, and cheese wrap for breakfast!! Sorry Lisa!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No offense here! I believe in letting humankind eating how, when, and what they may!

      Delete
  3. I didn't know the percentage of vegetarians was so low. Seems like it should be higher based on different people I know and all the dieting and cook books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I was totally surprised by that too...

      Delete
  4. Vegetarianism cancels out a great joy in life - Pac-Out. I'd rather die early and have my meat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for heart disease! ;)

      Delete
    2. Wait. That sounds bad. Yay for helping our genetics along to heart disease!

      Wait. That sounds worse.

      Yay for Pac-Out!! ;) xo!

      Delete
  5. I couldn't be a vegetarian, I like meat too much!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. While I don't care for meat I can only liken it to someone asking me to give up Diet Coke....I could...but why in the world would I WANT to??? ;)

      Delete
  6. ArlaMo, what the hell's a Stott?????

    Loved this: "If you find yourself gagging at the sight/smell/thought of eating meat, then you may be a Vegetarian."
    Well, D'OH!!!!!!!
    Laughing here...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy, lol!!! Arlamo is Mountain Man's cousin and her last name is Stott...my married name!!! Heee!!!

      Delete
    2. why Cathy, Stotts are THE coolest, most incredible family ever! And we even recruit amazing people like Lisa to join with us in our awesomeness (even if she is a vegetarian. And a liberal ;) )

      Delete
  7. My husband claims to be a vegetarian, according to his own definition: he eats vegetables, animals that eat vegetables, and animals that eat animals that eat vegetables. HAH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sounds like my husband!! My brother always says, "Vegetables are my food's food." ;)

      Delete
  8. If I didn't have to cook, I don't think I'd caremuch what food got put in front of me, or moreso that i wouldn't miss the meat much...especially if there was cheese!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmmmmm...cheeeeeese. Dang. Now I want cheese.

      Delete
  9. Hi
    Definitely the best, most entertaining A to Z I have come across, And I have visited hundreds of them.
    thanks for sharing
    martine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw a bumper sticker once that said "If God didn't want man to eat animals, why did he make them out of meat?" Sums up my husband's stance as well. Maybe Mountian Man and him should hang....

    ReplyDelete