Thursday, April 26, 2012

Know the Signs: Wanderlust

Wanderlust is a condition that effects mainly, well, all of humanity.  I've never met a person who wouldn't like to travel somewhere else at least once.  Unless it's that boy in the bubble from that movie starring a very young, and pre-Scientology, John Travolta.  I bet traveling wasn't high up on his list--wait, maybe he did want to travel, but couldn't, because of his bubble.  Whatever.

Annnnnyway, knowing the signs of wanderlust are important so you can know when it's time to pack your bags and flee.

The signs of wanderlust include:

  • Keeping an up to date passport in case you are approached by MI-6 for a super secret spy mission.
  • Buying mini-bottle after mini-bottle of travel size shampoo and conditioner. Seriously, your bathroom looks like a Motel 6.
  • Pushing the boundaries of your ethnic cooking, trying such recipes as Scrapple, or Headcheese, just so you can be prepared to eat street rat in Thailand with the ease that you eat M&M's here at home. 
  • Your favorite TV show is PBS' "Rick Steves".  Not only do you watch him every week, his previous seasons are in your Netflix queue and when you bid farewell to your friends, you say, "Keep on travelin'!"
  • You have the maps of all major European cities downloaded onto your phone. You also spend your free time learning how to say, "Where is the bathroom?" and, "How much is this ugly and overpriced souvenir?" in French, Italian, German, and Ket, an obscure language spoken by only about a hundred people in central Siberia.  Because...well, you just never know when you might get to central Siberia, and it's best to be prepared.    
  • You Google a popular "What every traveler should know" site, where you regularly refresh the protocol for tipping waiters in Italy, how to escape a hotel fire, and the best methods to survive a plane crash should the unthinkable occur. 
  •  All of your pins on Pinterest are of other countries and far off lands.
  • You check airfaire deals on tickets to Greece daily.  And when you purchase something your first though isn't, "How much is this?" but, "How many miles will this get me??"
  • You buy bottled water from various countries in an attempt to get your fragile digestive system used to foreign parasites.  
  • You try squatting over your toilet instead of sitting on it so you will be prepared for lands where that is the preferred method of voiding.  Try it.  I dare ya. 
  • You time yourself to see how fast you can take off your shoes, watch, and jewelry to see if you can beat your previous record as timed by your friendly TSA agent.
  • Said TSA agent is on your Christmas card mailing list.
  • You keep adding things to a list about knowing the signs of wanderlust because you really DO dream of fleeing to far off lands every, single, day.

Do you suffer from wanderlust?

36 comments:

  1. Nope. I'm a homebody at heart. :)

    I have traveled a little - one of my favorite trips was to Italy and that would be one of the places I'd love to go again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to 31 countries, most of them for a month or more, and I have no intention of slowing down. Actually I can't, I'm a travel writer!
    Right now I'm home, though. I'm being a single dad while my wife goes to a science conference in Japan. Seeing that country has been a lifelong dream for her. As you can tell, she's got a fair bit of wanderlust too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You officially have the best job EVER!

      Delete
  3. Or you live in Walla2 and can't think of a reason better than that to leave...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd like to wander, truly I would. But I grew up in a non-wandering household. Seriously, the only two places we ever went were Holland Lake and Grandma Jones' house in New Mexico. Oh, and we did go to Carlsbad Caverns and White Sands for a Jones reunion once.

    And then I married a guy who thought being a student/intern/resident/fellow for eleventy billion years would be fun. And then...we had six kids, who are fond of my presence at track meets, band concerts, swim meets, basketball games and dinner, just to name a few. :)

    But my time is coming, I just know it. I might just start with a trip to Scotland in about two years ;) Meanwhile, I just drool over your travel pictures on Pinterest and watch Amazing Race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing Race ALMOST makes up for it...;)

      Delete
  5. I haven't yet seen all of the things that I want to see here in the United States.
    I remember driving miles to get to Four Corners just to find it had closed an hour earlier. Another day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We'll always have Shiprock!!

      Delete
    2. I have been to Shiprock! My dear mother grew up right near there :)

      Delete
    3. i've been to shiprock with your dear mother in a long ago life time and even went to the jones homestead

      Delete
  6. Only in my dreams... funds are a little short at the moment, and if I went, I might not want to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to travel more!! Also, that show Idiot Abroad or something is really hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Times and seasons! It will come...

      Delete
  8. Well, since only the first two items on your list actually apply to me, I don't suppose I do suffer from Wanderlust. Although I've actually been to Siberia. In winter no less.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT is a story I'd looooooove to hear!!

      Delete
  9. Guilty! I measure the state of my bank account in airmiles it could get me. Currently I could afford about 3 bus stops :D I'll have to try the squatting thing just in case...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL!!! Don't feel bad, I can only afford two bus stops! ;)

      Delete
  10. Wanderlust is the one thing I don't suffer from. I'm perfectly happy to be right here at home. Maybe because the beach is only 5 minutes away from our house. But this post was informative...and so dang funny!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks to your handy guide, no, I do not suffer from wanderlust...and I can't decide if that disapppoints me...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be disappointed!! It's a gift!

      Delete
  12. In the worst way! I'm rather "tied" at the moment, but I have plans... (rubs hands together and chuckles...Mwahahahaha) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with YOU, Jenny!!! Muahahahahah!!!!!

      Delete
  13. Hello! I don't think I suffer from it, but there are some places I want to visit some day!

    Have a lovely week and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was such a fun post! I don't think I suffer from Wanderlust now but I certainly had a pair of itchy feet when I was younger.

    Keep on Travelin'!
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have it bad! I just got home from Africa and I'm ready to go back already. I journalled the experience at http://www.illusionsaway.blogspot.com. I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yes, I did have the wanderlust bug for the longest time. Then my grown children moved farther away. So I HAVE to travel if I want to see my newest, yet-to-be-born grandchild. Dang it:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Funny! I definitely have wanderlust. Probably from the fact that I lived in England and traveled Europe growing up. In fact, I'm taking my whole family to the UK in June. Can't wait!!! Great post for W!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm not quite as extreme as all that. But I am a gyspy in my heart. I love the airport. It means something it happening. I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. No, I guess I don't. But I'm on the road enough as a speaker everything is just second nature.

    ReplyDelete
  20. My wanderlust is a come-and-go affair... I do mostly love home (as long as I can get out of town occasionally if it's been too long), but there are times when I see a big plane fly overhead and I get an itch for an international jaunt.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sоme otheг fantastiс ρost.
    The plаcе else may anyοne get that type of
    infοrmation іn such a perfect manner of wгitіng?
    I have а presentation next weеk, and I'm on the look for such info.

    Here is my web-site Materiautheque.fr

    ReplyDelete
  22. Evегy weеκend i used
    to viѕіt thіs ѕite, because i wish for enjοyment, fоr the reasοn that this this web ѕite
    cοnations tгuly nісе funny dаta toо.


    Lοok at my weblоg :: http://cloudytags.com/linkdetails/61452.html

    ReplyDelete