Friday, April 27, 2012

Know the Signs: Xenophobia

Xenophobia is the fear of people or things from other countries.  In my limited life experience, I've learned that people are a mystery, and irrational fears only serve to teach that there's a whole lot of crazy with a never ending stream of stupid just about everywhere.

Xenophobia is one of those mysteries.

The beginning symptoms of Xenophobia include:
  • Changing the name of long established common fast food items in order to avoid cultural references to the country you hate.  Remember "Freedom Fries"?
  • When forced to travel in a foreign country, acting as if everyone else is stupid because they don't speak your native tongue.
  •  When faced with eating a foreign food, you wrinkle your nose and exclaim like a three-year-old, "Ewwwwwwww!  Gross!!" 
  • When presented with different point of view, you lower your Neanderthal-like brow and exclaim, "He/she must be a communist!"  not realizing that your definition of communism isn't really what communism is.  
  •  Instead of finding common ground between yourself and others, you idiotically continue to point out what makes you different, and therefore (in your mind) "better" than everyone else. 

Simply put, xenophobia is dangerous, friends.  It is a scourge on all of humanity.  We humans are beautiful in all our variety on this grand planet.  And quite frankly, xenophobia only serves to distract us from the real threat facing us today:  The imminent ZOMBIE ATTACK that is sure to come.  

So, know the signs, avoid being stupid, prepare for Zombies.

How do you delight in the differences of others?

13 comments:

  1. I feel like if I'm visiting your country, it's up to me to learn at least some of your language and/or at least carry a foreign language dictionary around with me. It's not about becoming fluent - it's about making an effort and having respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that rule also applies to husbands and partners. If Mountain Man is going to come to my country, he has to make an effort to speak my lanuguage--the language of cRaZyToWn! :)

      Delete
  2. Yikes! One of the worst phobias for sure...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. People really should be more phobic about germs, STD's, nuclear war or zombie attacks...

      Delete
  3. I love trying new foods. I feel sorry for the people who refuse to.

    Dropping by from A to Z; it's nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! And nice to meet you too!!

      Delete
  4. goodness, hand me the medicine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I was angry when I wrote this post. Sometimes the injustices in the world pile up and spill over...oh well. But I stand by the fact that we should all be more worried about Zombies...:)

      Delete
  5. I think I was a victim of Xenophobia,during my first visit to Boston. :-O. I was such an idjit. :-/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I am more afraid of people right here in our own country...exhibit A: Walmart...(and yes, I may be the person another shopper there fears).

    ReplyDelete