Xenophobia is one of those mysteries.
The beginning symptoms of Xenophobia include:
- Changing the name of long established common fast food items in order to avoid cultural references to the country you hate. Remember "Freedom Fries"?
- When forced to travel in a foreign country, acting as if everyone else is stupid because they don't speak your native tongue.
- When faced with eating a foreign food, you wrinkle your nose and exclaim like a three-year-old, "Ewwwwwwww! Gross!!"
- When presented with different point of view, you lower your Neanderthal-like brow and exclaim, "He/she must be a communist!" not realizing that your definition of communism isn't really what communism is.
- Instead of finding common ground between yourself and others, you idiotically continue to point out what makes you different, and therefore (in your mind) "better" than everyone else.
So, know the signs, avoid being stupid, prepare for Zombies.
How do you delight in the differences of others?