Monday, May 14, 2012

I Didn't Die

As you know, at least most of you know, I ran my very first 5k on Saturday morning.  I've actually walked more that a few 5ks, but I've never run one, and the experience wasn't what I was expecting.

Have you every gone on a really big trip?  Not to your grandma's house, but a REALLY BIG trip, you know, like the ones where you pack and repack your bags, consult travel guru, Rick Steves, and maybe even email him about a hundred times once or twice before your trip in hopes that your grand adventure is somehow blessed by him?  (Side note: Don't ever email Rick Steves a hundred times in a week.  His lawyers don't like it.)

Preparing for a race is the same way.  Of course, I'd trained.  I ran the course beforehand.  I even fussed over what I was going to wear.  I didn't want my big can flapping in the wind and have my shirt ride up around my chin come the finish line.  I got all nervous with excitement.  I also worried that I'd find that I disliked running in a group and run home instead.

Curiously, as the race began I felt an overwhelming joy at being a part of something greater than myself, and a little bit competitive every time someone really fast passed us.  As they flew by, I silently slapped them in my mind, then wished them well.  It's not that I wasn't pleased for them, I just got tired of watching their tanned and toned legs running by as if the zombies were actually behind them, because everyone knows they would eat me first.  Of course, I ran as fast as a cow crossing a country lane, but I had a blast.  And most importantly, I didn't die--which was actually kind of a surprise.

Imagine my utter amazement when my running mates and I got to the end and said to one another, "When are we doing a 10k?"


Rocky Babe Boa, Sassy Britches and the Square Toothed Girl.
I think it's interesting that both of my friends look totally hot after running 3.16 miles,
because I actually felt like I was melting.

Here's me, melting.  Just so you know, this was staged.
Have I mentioned that I have a flare for drama??

All in fighting shape, or at least good enough shape to run away from
slow zombies, not fast ones.  Wait, are there such things as fast zombies??

What did you do this weekend?

30 comments:

  1. You didn't die! Congratulations. Quite a feat. Glad you enjoyed the thrill of competition :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! I didn't do anything quite that rewarding this weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You my sassy friend ROCK! And notice the Zombies didn't get you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's because they were still sleeping, or nesting, or whatever it is that zombies do. Although they made us run through the cemetery and I couldn't blink the entire time! ;)

      Delete
  4. YOU. ARE. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Congratulations, Lisa, to you and all your running mates! You guys look fantastic and I am so proud of you for being such athletes. (Plus being funny... "because everyone knows they would eat me first. Of course, I ran as fast as a cow crossing a country lane")
    Hilarious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cathy!! And, I really did run like a cow crossing a country lane...:)

      Delete
  5. Good job!!! Well done. Running is very addictive. It feels great once you get used to it. You'll be doing a marathon before you know it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe I want to do a 10k!

      Delete
  6. Well done! I haven't run anyway since I hurt my leg about 5 years ago - I'm building back up gently.

    Be careful though - the 0k your friend mentioned leads to half-marathon, marathon, triathlon, ultra-marathon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great job, Lisa! Whoo hoo! :)

    I've felt something similar when I do those organized bike rides/races - happy at being part of something "bigger," frustrated when people pass me by (which is pretty much all the time!) but then inspired to keep up and keep going. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's totally weird isn't it?? But fun and I see how it can get addicting too!

      Delete
  8. I have a hard time running for the bus, so WELL DONE!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's so exciting! I admire you for doing that; you're inspiring me to do something! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really fun, Sharon! You should join us!!

      Delete
  10. Love the title: I didn't die

    That was quite an achievement!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just keep telling myself--"Small and simple, small and simple." :)

      Delete
  11. Wow Lisa! I really loved your description! So enjoyable!
    Great pics too :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great Job Lisa! Sounds like you had a blast and it sounds like you have a good little support group. I am glad that you enjoyed it. If you're not careful you will do a 10K and then a half and then a full and then..... Believe me that is how it started for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Look what you did!!! If you hadn't have been posting all that running through life stuff, the seed wouldn't have been planted. Thanks, Ryan!

      Delete
  13. Yeah! Congratulations, that's fantastic! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm still breathing heavy!

      Delete
  14. Wow, Lisa, you ran a 5k??? That is an amazing achievement. At least, it would have been amazing for me Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am glad you didn't die! What an achievement! You can be proud! I nominated you for a Kreativ Blogger award :)

    ReplyDelete