Friday, May 11, 2012

The Strange Case of Andy's Market

In this teeny-tiny-itty-bitty town that I live in there is one health food store.  I do the majority of my shopping there as it caters to Seventh Day Adventists who tend to be vegetarian.  I mean, I'm sure there are non-vegetarian Seventh Day Adventists but they are probably as rare as vegetarian Mormons, since I'm the only one of those that I know.

Anyway, every time I go to Andy's Market there is a plethora of folks in their golden years navigating the aisles and who mysteriously seem to flock to me like bees to honey which I think has less to do with my personal charm, and more to do with the fact that I'm nearly 6 feet tall and I can reach all those rows of tofu sausages on the top shelf that are so popular in vegetarian communities.

When I say that there are "plethora" of older folks I don't mean like five or ten--I mean that often I am the ONLY person under 70 in the store on a weekday.  Of course, it's not like I live there or something, so I'm sure that the demographic noticeably changes throughout the day. However, I also don't go to Andy's at the same time every week--which has led me to the following conclusions--since the one definable thing that all my elderly neighbors and I seem to have in common is the fact that most of us shop at a store geared towards people who don't eat meat.

My first conclusion is:

That vegetarian living really is the key to longevity.

Or, (my second conclusion):  That vegetarian living really does nothing for your health except make you look older because most of the people shopping at Andy's are probably like 42, not 82, and there's only so much righteous living a body can take before it just rebels and you start to look like Yoda.

I can't decide.

And before you call me ageist and think that I don't respect my elders, you are absolutely wrong. And here is how I know that: right after my daughter was born, I belonged to a lunch club with a group of women who were all over 75.  I was the youngest member at 26, and the next youngest member was 78.

Take that, doubter.

I have no idea why they invited me to join them--or maybe I invited myself because that sounds like something I would do--but I'll tell you this, those women taught me more about mothering than any book ever could because between them they had, oh I don't know, a hundred million years of parenting experience and it doesn't get more real than that.  Each of them was vivacious and dynamic and interestingly, we met for lunch at a place called, "Smoky Davis" famous for its smoked meat sandwiches.

...Which makes me think that perhaps I've just solved the strange case of Andy's Market.

What are your thoughts?  



17 comments:

  1. Maybe most are vegetarians because of their religion. Most religions tend to have the majority of their membership as seniors because many younger people have given up on religion. Or, they have better/other things to do. So, if they're actually there for religious reasons, it would explain their age. You're lucky to have a healthy store in which to shop. I too live in one of those itty bitty towns and all we have is Walmart for the most part. Have you ever tried Walmart produce? Don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya, Rubye! Walmart produce is AWFUL. Lucky for us, Andy's has fabulous produce, and a lot of older gals with blue hair...

      Delete
  2. I was thinking (maybe hoping) it was food preservatives that would keep me young...that could support your yoda theory, and the effects of healthy eating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too, Andrea, am hoping that the chemicals in Diet Coke will keep me youthful forever...or, at least they won't have to embalm me when I die because I'm chock full 'o preservatives too! :)

      Delete
  3. Hmmm...I hope being a vegetarian doesn't prematurely age me :-( We have a few health-food stores in our small region (but then it's very granola-y around here :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I think the jury's still out though...I have a feeling that only time will tell! However, ever though I too am a vege, I don't think I could go back to eating meat even if I do end up looking like Yoda. :)

      Delete
  4. Strange - I've run into you at Walmart (shhhh!) and JoAnn's twice, as well as the bookstore, but never Andy's. They have jicama and fresh almond butter, which I do buy on weekdays. They also have tamarind, which is quite nice for authentic pad thai. The older folks don't bother me, except when they stop to chat and block the whole aisle...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The oldies looooove me! It's crazy! And the only reason we haven't run into one another is because we've never thought about it--watch, we're gonna see each other all the time there now! :)

      Delete
  5. I think I'd have to be all knowing to really provide any thought of substance. I will say that, I think genetics plays a major part in how a person looks physically; the longer they remain on the earth.

    The human body grows from youth to a process that we call old age. All we need to do is look at our parents and grandparents to realize that there is a process that takes place. Does eating healthy, exercising or not eating meat change the process that has taken place since the beginning of time? Only time will tell.

    The most we can do is eat healthy; be thankful for all things be it meat or vegetables and live a life that harms no one. If we look younger as a result - so be it; if not- so be it also! It is all good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Gratitude is the key to healthy living for sure!! And it IS all good!! :)

      Delete
  6. All this and the thing I can't get over is HOLY CRAP YOU'RE TALL!!!!! If I eat more jicama and fresh almond butter, will I grow to nearly six feet??????

    I laughed out loud, literally, with a snort, when I read this: That vegetarian living really does nothing for your health except make you look older because most of the people shopping at Andy's are probably like 42, not 82, and there's only so much righteous living a body can take before it just rebels and you start to look like Yoda.

    You're too funny, Lisa-Lisa.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I've never eaten almond butter or jicama, at least not together--I'm an amazon. I think they just go 'em bigger in Idaho...all the potatoes or something. ;)

      Delete
    2. Oh, and the Diet Coke--don't forget the Diet Coke. :D

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Stopping by to wish you a great week-end and hand you an award!
    BeenThereDoneThat

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stoppin by to wish you a great week-end and to hand you an award ;)
    BeenThereDoneThat

    ReplyDelete