Friday, May 25, 2012

Surprise!

I live in a constant state of surprise of the things that haven't happened to me. This morning after I made the bed, I thought, "Wow! I'm so surprised that a snake didn't crawl out of my bed while I was making it."

Now, I have no idea why a snake would be crawling out of my bed as I don't live in a place where there are a ton of snakes, or how one would even get into my house--because if you are prepared for zombies to attack, then you are prepared for snakes--but that was the thought that occurred to me this morning.

Which led me to, "I'm so surprised that the zombie attack of 2012 hasn't happened yet" or "I'm surprised that I've never been struck by lightening" even though common sense dictates to stay indoors during a thunder storm, and I usually do.  Other things that surprise me are the fact that I haven't been arrested, been chained to a tree to protest logging, been shot, mugged, won the lottery (even though I don't play it) or starred in a Broadway musical--because according to the tiles in my shower, I sound AWESOME.

On the other hand, maybe these are all just a bunch of "firsts" waiting to happen, because ya know, life is full of surprises.

What surprises you?

18 comments:

  1. I am surprised when anyone says they like my book. It makes me feel good, and I enjoy it whenever that happens :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine! I would love to read your book, by the way, then I could say just how much I enjoyed reading it--where can I score a copy, Michael?? :)

      Delete
  2. Hmm... I'm surprised by how busy three people can keep me at work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also surprised by how many absent children away at school can leave messes to clean...

      Delete
  3. By how rude and mean people can be... By how well the voice in my head knows me and by how rude and mean I can be to it... How a 2.5 year old can observe, retain and repeat something at the most inopportune time. Mostly? That I manage to wake up every morning and do it all again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I look for a snake in the toilet rather than the bed. So far, there's never been one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm surprised I got so old so quickly... I'm sure I should only be 17!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha, your post surprised me...snakes, rattle snakes to be exact, have been caught at my school 2 days in a row! But in my bed? NO! Yikes! Also the zombies...my kindergartners are fascinated by sombies and ofter write about them in Writer's Workshop.
    Happy Sundayz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NOOOOOOOOOO!!! NO Snakes!!! Eeek!

      Delete
  7. Lisa, WHAT ARE YOU SMOKING, GIRL?
    Whatever it is, send some my way. Also, some brownies. The fudgy kind. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I will just put what i'm smoking in the brownies...how about that?? ;)

      Delete
  8. I'm surprised that no one has actually ever dug a hole from here to China.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! For all our talking about it all the live long day, you'd think someone would have done it by now...sheesh. :)

      Delete
  9. Tag! You're it! (Feel free not to play if you can't run fast enough!)
    http://judy-minutebyminutedaybyday.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am still constantly surprised by love. My husband calls me at work just to say, "I love you". Yesterday, he bought me a card and a box of rum cordials, for no reason. After 16 years, our love is stronger than ever before.

    ReplyDelete