Thursday, June 21, 2012

The First "Official" Day of Summer

Today, is the first official day of summer?  Or is it tomorrow?  I can never keep the solstice days straight.  Anyway, it's REALLY our first day of summer here at the Square Toothed/Mountain Man house as we've been all consumed with camping and picking up Diastema at Grandma's house so now we find ourselves at home with the first uninterrupted day of summer stretching out before us.

This could be a good thing...or not.

I always begin summer with the best of intentions.  We make a huge list of things we'd like to do, but then somewhere along the way, our enamorment--yes, that's not a real word, but if I acknowledge that it's not real then I can use it--wains and we are left on the side of summer's road like a forgotten shoe.

The summers of my childhood were spent doing one thing and one thing only:  Swimming.  For under a dollar (Geez, how old AM I?), you could swim everyday--aaallll day long.  My parents didn't worry about summer camps, enrichment activities, or "together" time.  They turned us loose to the pool and we swam all day.  In fact, this is still my favorite summertime activity.  I'm so hardcore that my kids give me that blank stare that says, "Please woman, make it stop.  Not swimming, again."

Lightweights.

So, here we are, the first day of actual freedom and a long list of things to do before us.
I love standing on the brink of possibility.  

Wish us luck.

What do you do with your kids during the summer? 



13 comments:

  1. Yesterday was the first day of summer, at least that's what I was going by. I just found something here that confirms it, but the comments sure don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wasn't that rambling first comment just weird? Where was he going with that? But it was still fun to read!

      Delete
    2. It was really extreme, wasn't it? I should go back and do a word count for his longest run-on sentence.

      Delete
  2. I don't have kids but if I do, I'll probably send them to a ymca and tell to swim to their heart's content. though I guess I should learn to swim too, right?

    hope you have a great summer even if you don't do anything on your list. sometimes plans are meant to be scrap, or so I think.

    have a sweet day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah...don't learn to swim unless you really want to! ;)

      I also think sometimes plans are meant to be scrapped!! Here's to summer!

      Delete
  3. Lots of moor walking and National Trust properties for me. Kids are happy as long as there's chocolate cake at the end of it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah!!! Chocolate cake makes everything good! And, can I just say, oooooooooo, moor walking, wish I was there!!! Sigh....

      Delete
  4. Argh (pirate flashback)... There was a heat advisory yesterday and again today, so summer looks even more lazy than usual! Watermark tomorrow (and 15 degrees cooler...hopefullYthe forecast is correct)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doesn't it just take it out of you?? Summer makes me melt!

      Delete
  5. Oh...swimming. What I wouldn't give to swim all day. (The urban sprawl is not conducive to swimming) Here's to sunshine, chlorine and possibility!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "I will survive...I will survive..." that is a song running through my head. Have a lovely summer. Lots of sun block.

    ReplyDelete