Sunday, June 10, 2012

Girls & Camping

For the last few years I've worked as a camp counselor at a girls camp for the church I attend.  As a camper, I love living outside (for any amount of time I can) and incidentally, I'm still waiting for Mountain Man to whisk me back up to the Flathead where we can live out our days in a yurt on the side of the lake.

On the other hand, girls camp is a different sort of wonder.  There's a lot of girls.  And well, they're girls.  Not to say that this is bad, but there's usually a lot of crying, screaming, and menstruating (sorry, it's the elephant in the campground and the reason for all the screaming and crying.)
In short, there's a lot of drama.

I've heard other camp leaders exclaim it to be their best week of the year--and it's great--don't get me wrong--(I won't use the word "but" here because that negates everything you just said before you said the word "but", so I'll say) AND preparing for girls camp is just a big pain.

It's like preparing for a vacation where you know that the only thing you will come home with is fatigue and quite possibly Lyme disease--actually, if you substitute the words "Lyme disease" for "amoebic dysentery", it's not unlike vacationing in Mexico.

There are the forced preparations of sewing a flag to represent our congregation (no thanks friends, I will not bow down to the convention of my culture and sew--unless it's a pillow so I can rest my weary head)  preparing secret sister gifts (money spent on trinkets that could have purchased a small car, a pound of gold bullion, or several sheep for villagers living in the Sudan.)

And then there's the packing.
Squeezing fourteen girls (and all their worldly possessions) into a mini van...wait, I don't drive one of those either, so let's say, Mini Coop, is like trying to squeeze, well, fourteen girls into a mini-coop.  When we arrive we all tumble out like clowns from a VW.

On the other hand, camping with all these hormonal, pubescent crying girls makes me appreciate the wise daughter who came through me but is certainly a woman all her own already.  I'm forbidden to discuss her except in the loosest of terms, so that brief description must suffice.  And then there's the inevitable vocabulary expansion that happens up at camp.
After camp last year, it took me no less than two weeks to break myself of the habit of saying the word, "Epic" after every mundane pronouncement.

And friends, if you don't know me all that well, you may not know that I despise that word with all the feeling of my soul.

The only things that are epic are sex (if you're lucky) and the movie Ben Hurr--and that's only because Moses starred in it, and was hot.  Seriously, Charleton Heston=babe.  

There's also the fact that Mountain Man will usually drive up so we can make out in the woods for a few minutes in between camp activities.

What?  Don't judge.

And if you are, then you're just wishing your own mountain man would drive an hour to make out with you after a long day's work.  Seriously, Mountain Man=babe and great kisser.

There's also the opportunity to spend time with some wonderful women who share their love of life, joy of peace and kindness with all they meet...and (besides making out in the woods) that's my favorite part.

So, in spite of the sewing, the month of packing, and the Lyme disease (which are all epic, by the way) girl's camp equals four days of love, laughter, deet poisoning and snogging in the bushes.

I'm looking forward to it.

See you next week.

20 comments:

  1. I think secretly you love every minute of it. Including the EPIC drama of all those menstruating girls :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, it's epic. ;) And yes, I really do love it and all those wild wild girls! :)

      Delete
  2. It sounds totally fun. I hope you have a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so glad someone else hates the overused "epic."

    Hey, are you really on Pinterest? If so, is that really you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you need to substitute your username for "USERNAME." :-)

      Delete
    2. Ok, SEEEE!!! I told you last week that I have NO BUSINESS trying to create links to anything ANYWHERE on the interwebs!!! Crud! NOw I don't know how to fix that--but yes, I'm on Pinteres. Lisa Haight Stott...:) Not USERNAME...which is too bad, because I totally think USERNAME would be an awesome name! :)

      Delete
    3. This should help. Go here and scroll down about halfway down the page to "Follow Button" for Websites. Click on the button you want and copy the text it gives you. Then go back to Blogger, add the HMTL/JavaScript gadget, and paste that link inside the text box.

      Delete
    4. P.S. I know you how how to add gadgets; I just thought I'd try to be thorough in case it would help anyone else.

      Delete
  4. I was never comfortable in large groups of girls, even when I was one! I broke out into a cold sweat reading your post :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya!!!! The only thing that makes it easier now is that I'm an adult...:)

      Delete
  5. Snogging in the woods...I don't know the last time I've done that. Your posts always make me smile, Lisa. I'm sure I would have so much amazing material for a middle grade novel after a week like this. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not the novelist! That's you!!! I will write a funny, yet thought provoking examination on how to snog in the woods successfully with one's husband under the cover of night, or an expose on how not to die while living in the woods...as well an in depth analysis on all the things that CAN kill you while in the woods...:)

      If you should want my meaty week's material for novel writing, you are welcome to it!!! :) No, seriously. :)

      Delete
  6. I wish was was going to be there... for the "epic" week you are about to have!! And don't worry only about half are really menstruating the rest are just really that way ;) Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are loved and missed Jules. XOXoxoxoxoxoXO

      Delete
  7. So glad it is you going and not me, I did my 9 years already back in the late 70's early 80's, LOL Thanks for taking the stuff the DH forgot...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm girls camp director again this year. It IS a pain to get ready. Ack! I will so miss my bed and shower. Luckily, my daughters and I are menstruating this week (TMI?) so come Monday (which is when camp is scheduled to begin) we will normal human beings again. I can't speak for the other hundred females in the camp though.

    Should be exciting! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. would it add to your lol pleasure to know that shiloh's grandpa and grandma stott always snuck off very late at night to skinny dip while attending the family reunion - another demention of snooging in the woods i would say

    ReplyDelete
  10. demention - the cross between demented and dimension - oops

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never have done an "organized" camp, either as a kid or an adult... sounds totes epic. (Though, not having a daughter, I think my patience for the girly ways is pretty thin... I wish you a pleasant time. The make-out session should help.)

    What word will you come back with this year??

    ReplyDelete