Monday, June 4, 2012

Smoke Signals

Ok, I'm a pretty positive person, but I've been spending the last two days trying to figure out--well--actually I have no idea what I've been trying to figure out--as I'm a hopeless technological wreck.  You may be wondering how I navigate creating a blog, unless of course, you write a blog too--then you realize that even the most technologically challenged among us (me) can do that without too much hassle.

Here's the deal:  I am much more comfortable with say, oh, carrier pigeons--or smoke signals--than with computers.  Heck, I will even do an interpretive dance to communicate if that's what it takes.

I don't tweet--in fact, I don't really even get what that is--and if you do, don't even bother to explain it to me, because with the proliferation of 80's song lyrics that already fill my head, I can't really imagine squeezing anymore useless information into my already crowded cranium.

While I was the first of my friends to have children, I was the last to get a cell phone, and it wasn't until quite recently that I upgraded to a smart phone which I promptly removed the Facebook and email applications from which made a friend ask, "Why do you even have a smart phone if you don't want to get information instantly?"
To which I replied, "I like how the screen moves when my finger touches it."

I know.

Here's the deal:  I don't want to be connected with everyone all the time.  I don't really play well with others and in fact, I never answer my front door...or my phone...seriously.  I screen every call unless you call my cell phone and only the people I really want to talk to have that number anyway.

And another thing about all this connected-ness: (confession time) I often feel bad that I flood people's Facebook timeline's with my blog posting notices.  I realize that most people I'm "friends" with have probably hid me and my bloggingness, which is fine--but just so you know, I feel bad just the same.  I don't want to be "that" person who keeps requesting Farmville (--seriously people, go outside and ACTUALLY farm.  It yields awesome results--like food.)

On the other hand, when I see a fellow blogger posting their blog in the news feed I'm overjoyed to catch up with them...it's a conundrum.

So, the last 24 hours I've been trying to figure out how to post social media icons onto my blog to clean up the look around here.  Then it dawned on my that I really had no idea what social media icons do.  So I Googled* that.  (Look at me go.)  I'm still not sure who would want to follow me on Facebook or RSS feed, unless it's my mom, but she can barely use a cell phone (no offense, Mom) so what would be the point?

At this point, I've decided to give up (for today) and be at peace with the fact that I'm just not computer savvy.

I'm off to make bread.


Do you consider yourself computer competent?  

I think it's weird that Blogger doesn't recognize "Googled" as a real verb.  Especially since Blogger is run by Google--isn't that a part of our lexicon yet? 

28 comments:

  1. Tecnology? Pfffft.... I am the Queen of Suckage.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cannot even spell the stooopid word...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't care for social networking either. I find I can never keep up so why bother? the only reason I still continue with a blog is because I actually think that's one way to communicate, that and email which I excessively keep checking even when I know it takes more than 2 seconds to write an email.

    I still don't know what the fuss is about Facebook. I really don't need to know what everyone's doing every second. don't people go outside anymore? that from a couch potato, ha! though I don't even have a couch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lissa, you're cracking me up!! I totally agree. However, I do like facebook sometimes. It's been nice reconnecting with family who live far far away...

      Someday, perhaps we will meet in person, and we can sit and chat on lovely park bench outside in the sunshine!! :)

      Delete
  4. Social media icons? What's with all the techie speak? I feel better now about the confusion I was having last week over whether I could/should make a facebook page for the blog so people who wanted blog action could just go there...but then got confused about the two different ways to go about it..eeeeeekkkkkk!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm TOTALLY with you!!! It just bends my mind and then I can't think...

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on the tweeter thing but I also don't like, ok, I hate Facebook. I also never answer my phone and the only reason I answer my front door is because "they" know I'm in here. But, I do like people. I also like gadgets like computers and Blackberries but that's only so I don't have to talk to people when not in the mood. It's just that there is a place and time for people. That's all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Rubye. I love being able to chat with my kids anytime (because they have cell phones) but outside of that, I'm good with mu limited technology...:)

      Delete
  6. My sister badgered me to get on FB, and I did. Still I avoid checking it, have put minimum info out there, etc. Who has time for all that? I would rather meet friends for coffee, then spend hours on the computer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, I think I am tech savvy. I understand how Twitter works in a vague sort of way, but I don't "get" it. I'm kind of obsessive about Facebook, but much less since it has become Social rather than game playing media for me. The only place I have real problems is trying to post comments on Blogger from my iPad. It's a pain, works seldom so I don't comment often, but read all the time, dahling. It isn't Blogger that pest recognize Googled, it's your browser spell checker. No charge for the tech advice... Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. pest = doesn't. Stupid auto typo.

      Delete
    2. Hee! See, I didn't even know THAT! :)

      Delete
  8. I've given up on keeping up. I do what social networking works for me, maybe try to push a bit, learn a little something new, then leave it at that. Sometimes it's only by disconnecting to everything else for a bit that I can find my way back to reconnecting with myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm pretty good with computers. I taught myself the basics of Access. When I worked at a library, we installed a new computer library system - I pretty much just pressed all the F keys to figure out what they did. One older lady was very impressed - she honestly thought if she pressed the wrong key she'd blow up the system!

    Note: computer programmes aren't much into self-sabotage so you're usually safe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Whew! I'm glad there's no chance of me blowing up!!

      Delete
  10. I think if you can make bread that you should feel pretty good about yourself, whether or not you are particularly computer savvy. Are we friends on facebook? I honestly don't know, but now I'm inclined to look you up and find out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just friended you. Because hey, we keep in touch. :)

      Delete
  11. I hope your bread was delicious! And I love seeing your bloggingness updates on the facebook. Oh, and to answer your actual question, I self-identify as a gadget geek and know how to do things with the computers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are amazing!! The bred turned out wonderful, and yielded enough to share with our neighbors too!

      Delete
  12. I love that you can make bread!! I want to learn how to make a good loaf since it is one of my favorite foods.

    I, too, don't like answering the door or the phone - that is why I got rid of the land line; only people who have my cell are people I desire to contact me.

    I don't think I am super non-tech savvy, but I don't know if I want all of those widgets for social media on my blog. I would want to sign up for each with the title of my blog rather than my personal pages, and that just takes time. And then I would have to keep updating the FB and Twitter pages for my blog, and that, too takes time.

    I guess that is it, I am more lazy than non-techie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just going to say that I'm lazy too--because I kind of feel like I should be MORE computer savvy than I am, but that's like asking a fish to climb a tree...:)

      Delete
  13. I hear you! I consider myself fairly computer competent (unless there's an error, then it's out of my hands!), but I feel similarly about cell phones. I simply do not WANT to be reachable 24/7 but my friend's nagging makes it impossible to turn my cell off. I never hear it when it's in my purse...I literally jump when I hear it ring in my apartment...I'm just not a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  14. in my belief system, we are all connected as one always and it is only through recognizing this spiritual connection that we find peace - interesting to try and develop separation from gadget land, but not separation from the Christ within - i am not sure steve jobs did anyone a favor by his contributions to the computer gadget world even though he is held in highest regard by the computer and business world - the more we think we are connected by constant gadgetry, the more we miss the point of existance, to learn how to implement the teachings of Jesus and other great spiritual beings rather than gadget ourselves to crazy land

    ReplyDelete
  15. Balance. It's all about balance. I dig technology, and love what's possible when utilizing it properly, and I love the one-on-one connection of people too. I'm thankful we don't have to choose.

    That being said, I have thoroughly enjoyed learning more about technology over the years, from smart phones to computer code to social media. (And I'm someone who said, not that long ago: "I just want my phone to be a phone. No camera, no nothing else." Ha.)

    ReplyDelete