Friday, June 29, 2012

The Tale of Herbert the Mouse

This week, our basement flooded...again.


It's been a rather wet Spring in the Northwest and the soil and cement seem to be saturated so the water just poured in when the next big rain fell.  I choose not to engage that part of me that likes to curse my house, so instead, we got busy and started cleaning up the two inches of water that covered the floor. 


Fast forward....two days later, the basement rug was pitched like a dark, wet tent over a ladder so the fan could get underneath and dry things out.  Straight Face went downstairs to turn off the fan for the night when I heard a strangled yelp issue from the basement. 


"There's something small and furry down there,"  she said as she hurried up the stairs. 


Now, let me tell you a little secret:  I'm a handy woman.  I don't wait for my husband to take the trash out, change a tire, rip the siding off the house, re-paint it or even kill the Zombies.  I am capable...or I make my kids do it, because isn't that one of the perks of having kids?  


However, when it comes to small furry creatures, snakes and Smoke Monsters, it's aaaaaaaallllllllll Mountain Man.


"Run Mountain Man, get your gun," I said.  Which made him smile, but his mama didn't raise an idiot, so he didn't get out a gun, mostly because we don't own any.  Diastema offered to make a gun out of Legos for him to use on the mouse, but Mountain Man had it under control.  


Down the stairs he went, into the mouse abyss.  


He came up several minutes later looking triumphant.  


"How did it go? Got any leads? Did you find him?  Squish him?  Return him to the wild?" I asked.  


"Nope. Didn't see him."  Which I thought was strange because our basement is the size of a postage stamp, and there's not much furniture down there.  There is however, a couple of Play Mobile pirate ships so maybe he was hiding in one of those, because if you were mouse sized wouldn't that be the first place you would go?


"So why were you down there rustling around so long?"


He said, "I finally beat the level on Uncharted." (A video game.)

Nice.  


So, I've made peace with living with a mouse.
I've named him Herbert.

And I really REALLY hope Herbert isn't a girl.

How do you feel about mice?  Snakes?  Smoke Monsters?   


      

12 comments:

  1. Best. Last line. Ever. I really hope Herbert isn't a girl either. We had a mouse in our basement once. It was a clever thing. When we did finally catch it, I felt bad for the poor thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel bad for him too! I don't want him to die, just not come around me...:)

      Delete
  2. Glad you are OK with your wee guest



    Have a GREAT Weekend!

    Aloha from Waikiki
    Comfort Spiral
    > < } } ( ° >

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kill. It. Now.

    I had a much more conciliatory attitude toward mice until one chewed through our dishwasher hose a couple of years back. (And we happened to be gone all day that particular Saturday.) Four months later, we were able to inhabit our space again--post-flood, I am much less kindly favored toward the wee creatures.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm calling a pest controller tomorrow--I need him gone NOW!

      Delete
  4. What is it about those twitchy little creatures that sends a thrill of terror down one's spine and a shudder of revulsion through one's body? Between mice and roaches (ok, any insect), I'm the weakest of weaklings. It's amazing I've survived this long. :-)
    Some Dark Romantic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think roaches are waaaaaaayy worse! I'm with you!!

      Delete
  5. Was he sailing the high seas of the flood on the Playmobil pirate ship? Not an uninvited critters fan, but slightly enjoy the visual of peg leg Herbert!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't have the courage to open the ship and find out!! I'm a coward!

      Delete
  6. There is a mouse in our attic too- an attic that until 2 days ago had been MY ROOM!!!! We only had one "close encounter". I made sure it was a loud and frightening experience. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am wishing Herbert the best, and trying to psychically push him out the door..ew!

      Delete