Sunday, July 1, 2012

Sleeping with the Enemy

Herbert has moved upstairs.
In case you missed the first part of the case of Herbert the mouse, read this.

Apparently, the little chat Herbert and I had together in the basement didn't do anything but encourage him to come right on up stairs and see what all the fuss was about.

Last night, he squeezed through a hole in the floor of Diastema's room.  I want you all to stand witness that I blame the fact that Herbert came upstairs all on my 8 year old son.  He's been praying that, "Herbert won't die and be able to live cute for many years to come."

And since I believe in the power of prayer, especially the power of a child's prayer--I feel that Herbert may be here to stay.

However, I am completely creeped out.  I'm ready to embrace my inner O.C.D. and clean every surface with bleach.  I want to boil my laundry, floor, and even myself.  There's no telling where that tricky Herbert may be lurking.  I feel like all those survivors on "Lost" who lived in fear of the Smoke Monster that lived in the forest--except my house is the forest, and a wee little mousey has been cast in the part of the Smoke Monster.

I'm waiting for Sawyer to show up.

I hope he gets here soon.

Do I need to feel bad about calling the exterminator tomorrow?  
And, why am I so creeped out by a mouse?  
Up until relatively recently, humans lived with creepy crawly things all the time, when did I become so separated from nature?  Sheesh...I need a therapist.  



14 comments:

  1. I don't care who is praying for the mouse (or the spider, for that matter!) If it has trespassed in my home, the creature has a death wish.

    I bleached our entire row house in Philly after a mouse infestation. Unfortunately, extermination in a row house only works until someone down the row calls the Orkin man and the little beasties just move down a house or two.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eww..."infestation" the very word makes my skin crawl!

      Delete
  2. Creepy Crawly things running around in my house isn't too cool. Thankfully, all I have here is mosquitoes and flies...well, and a few geckos from time to time.

    Tell him it isn't Mickey before you call the exterminator. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I've assured him (and totally lied) that Herbert will be removed to a lovely farm up North...

      Delete
  3. Just thinking about this gives me the creeps. Shudder. Makes me remember the time we had a rat in the attic and we could hear it running...yikes! Never mind.

    I'm okay with the creatures and critters as long as they stay outside. Once they come inside, all bets are off. Of course, they might say the same about me...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm the same way. But think about it this way, this is your space, you need to keep it clean for your families health. He encroached upon your home and is not respecting your rules. When you go to his place you follow his rules. (not that I think you should go hang out where ever he came from) I can always tolerate creepy crawlies more when I'm outside in their world than when they come into mine. Or maybe I'm just a woos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! And here, I thought Herbert and I had an understanding...sheesh.

      Delete
  5. I'd freak out too. something about a small creature that can crawl into any space is just not a comfortable thought. I wish they just stay outside.

    I wouldn't feel bad about calling an exterminator, sometimes, those creatures just had to go.

    hope you're having a good (Herbert-free) day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We haven't seen him yet, but the day is young...

      Delete
  6. I'd be totally freaking out about this too. I had a bat get in my house a few years ago and I nearly had a heart attack.

    In spite of the fact that Herbert would no doubt give me an anxiety attack, I think your son's prayer is just darling. How sweet!

    Having Sawyer show up would make the whole experience worthwhile. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, if Sawyer showed up everything would be allllllllright. ;)

      Delete
  7. I wouldn't be too freaked out by the mouse, just by the fact I could never be totally sure where it was. Spiders, on the other hand, completely freak me out!

    Perhaps you could encourage Herbert into the garden?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I bit the bullet and called an "ecologically friendly" exterminator--and quite frankly, I don't really know what that means, but he and all his kin will be gone soon...:

      Delete