Thursday, August 23, 2012

Bring a Shovel

My blogging buddy, Susanna, over at Behind My Eyes, wrote a lovely post about a friend whom she doesn't see often, but cherishes in her life and this got me thinking about my good friends.

The family I was born into kicks arse. What can I say? It's true. My parents are loving, kind, generous, funny and even a little wicked (in sense of humor at least.) But the one thing this arse-kicking family didn't give me was a sister, so, like all sister-less daughters, I went out into the wide world and found my own sisters--Which, if you ask me, is a far superior way of gaining a sister than being born into a family with one, because you can choose as many as you want, and they usually don't ask to borrow your clothes, unless of course, they do.

I have twelve sisters. None of them are related to me by birth or blood, but I know that if I called them in the dark of night and needed to dispose of a body, they would be there--and of course, I would drive through the dark of night to help them dig a grave too. (O.K., now this is just getting weird, but you know what I mean, right?)

Some of my sisters live right down the street. Some live far far away. Some I talk to everyday, some twice a week, or some even just once a year.  Time and distance don't define our love for one another. When we meet, it's like we never stopped talking. These sisters lift, support, encourage, and just love in perfect authenticity.

And I love them too--even when they ask me to bring a shovel.

Where have you found family?

12 comments:

  1. I hope my sister-less daughter will always have true sisters in her life :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think she already may have...:)

      Delete
  2. What a lovely post. I was always very bad at making girl friends, so when I was younger I found brothers. Unfortunately, when those 'brothers' found girlfriends, they didn't understand that I wasn't out to steal them. I'm finding girl friends easier to make now that I'm older and more self-confident.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found brothers too--even though I have some awesome ones. I think there's more about getting older that I love each year! :)

      Delete
    2. Me too! I feel better knowing it wasn't just me!

      Delete
  3. Lisa you're awesome! I enjoyed this post very much. I'm so honored to be mentioned in your blog post and so glad to hear that I've inspired you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Susanna! You are inspiring!! Thank you for writing such a lovely piece about your friend! xoxo

      Delete
  4. I love this! I have some of the best sisters in the world! (My real ones, and my chosen ones!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've got the best of both worlds! :)

      Delete
  5. Lately I have found myself looking outside bloodlines to figure out who I want at my family table!

    ReplyDelete
  6. now that i have reached the age that some of my sisters or brothers are having a grave dug for them, i recommend cherishing life each day and remembering that we are all of divine origin, each just seeking our own way, and therefore worthy of someone's love. dear lisa, nice stuff as always, lv u little sister

    ReplyDelete
  7. There's a challenge for you in my blog :)

    http://susanna-behindmyeyes.blogspot.fi/2012/08/3-x-11.html

    ReplyDelete