Monday, August 6, 2012

Why Running Will Kill You, How the Ents Are Alive, Why It's Always Best to Stay Inside, or How I Didn't Die Today, Yet Again.

Running will kill you--of this I'm fairly certain.

As I write this, I'm still dripping with sweat and running high on adrenalin because the trees are out to get me.

While running this morning, I crossed the road at the same place I cross the road every day at about the same time.  Above me I heard a sound I've often wondered about ever since a childhood friend was caught underneath a falling tree while wearing his bike helmet.  I didn't even look up, I just ran, and I had no idea how far I needed to run to get out of the way as the hundred year old behemoth hit the ground.

My face is covered with tree dust and I'm all sweaty from running but more from almost getting hit by a tree.

When it finally hit the ground, I spun around to see the just how near a miss it was and I scratched myself on one of the thin, once high limbs.

A man living in the nearest house came out and said, "Are you o.k.?  I'm really really glad you weren't underneath that when it fell.  I saw you run."


About 12 feet from the ground, the major limbs came a tumblin' down...


Where I didn't die.


Another view and proof that the Ents are alive and may be out to get me, which would mean that I'm on Sauron's side and an enemy of those pesky Hobbits.   Which is really too bad, because I try to always be on the side of any issue where Vigo Mortenson/Aragorn resides--it's just common sense.  

When encountering a near death, or at least, possible broken back experience--not that this happens frequently, but often enough that I've always taken the time right after--to count some blessings, re-prioritize and stay inside for the rest of the day.

And that's exactly what I think I'll do.


12 comments:

  1. Phew...get yourself some chocolate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this gives me license to drink all the Diet Coke I want today. :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you didn't die, Lisa :) And since when do you ever need license to drink all the diet coke you want?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, never. It just seems that if I am so close to death, I should drink more....and eat more carbs. :)

      Delete
  3. Lucky you're okay! Do treat yourself to goodies :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you were ok!

    I agree that sometimes, staying inside is the best option.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's a sign from the Universe that it's WAY too damn hot to run, lady. What were you thinking??

    Glad you're OK, though. I've had that crack of the tree branch before, actually not far from your neighborhood, but it was because of a freak late snow storm. My girlfriend and I were doing an early morning walk and both took off in a sprint. I'm sure it was funny to see...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. See, WW can be bad for your health! Stay away from the trees!! ;)...and yes, it's too damn hot to run. :)

      Delete
  6. OMIGAWD, I can't BELIEVE this happened... or almost happened... how freakin' scary is that? Glad you're ok, really glad. (I guess that's why treadmills are popular - stoopid marauding trees.)

    ReplyDelete