My friend, Clover, posted a list on Facebook a while back of forty things she would like to accomplish before the age of forty. Since Clover and I are only a mere four days apart in birth, and she is one of those people whom I shamelessly copy (because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery) I had to make my own. I'm 38 and three-quarters, so I better get a move on.
Here it is, Lisa's 40 by 40:
1. Read The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. It's been sitting on my bookshelf since I was thirteen and I think I'm ready.
2. Run a half marathon--so I can be prepared when the Zombie Attack truly begins.
3. Take dance lessons, because "No one puts Baby in a corner!"
4. Ride the Hiawatha bike trail outside of Coeur d'Alene, ID. Because I like bikes, and trails.
5. Attend the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C.
6. Attend every show at the Portland Art Museum.
7. Be still in a Japanese Garden.
8. Attend the Washington State Autumn Leaf Festival in Leavenworth, Washington.
9. Learn to play chess.
10. Learn to make cheese.
11. Make twelve new book structures.
12. Learn to become impeccable with my word.
13. Actively manifest through daily meditation.
14. Write a book.
15. Get rid of half of everything I own.
16. Be present.
17. Sing with a band.
18. Spend a weekend at a spa.
19. Regularly write in the journals I began for my children when they were small.
20. Go on a two week juice fast.
21. Grow peaches.
22. Get a bird.
23. Do Bikram Yoga every day for 3 months.
24. Create a rotating dinner menu and actually stick to it.
25. Lose 40lbs....'cause the "baby" is now 9 years old.
26. Go on a weekend get-away with Mountain Man to San Fransisco.
27. Participate in a flashmob.
28. Climb Mt. Hood...or at least get real close.
29. Spend next year's Persied meteor shower in Glacier National Park.
30. Hike to the Granite Park Chalet and spend the night.
31. Jump into Lake McDonald--(It's freezing).
32. Grow my hair long and wear a cowboy hat with confidence.
33. Fit into my wedding dress.
34. Learn more about technology--I don't even know enough now to know what it is I need to learn...
35. Go boating on the Willamette River.
36. Live in a big city with kids.
37. Spend my 39th birthday doing random acts of kindness.
38. Go clam digging.
39. Read all six volumes of Life and Teachings of the Masters of the Far East.
40. Enjoy the moment.
What's on your list of things to do?