Friday, September 21, 2012

40 by 40

My friend, Clover, posted a list on Facebook a while back of forty things she would like to accomplish before the age of forty. Since Clover and I are only a mere four days apart in birth, and she is one of those people whom I shamelessly copy (because imitation is the sincerest form of flattery) I had to make my own. I'm 38 and three-quarters, so I better get a move on.

Here it is, Lisa's 40 by 40:

1. Read The Gulag Archipelago by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.  It's been sitting on my bookshelf since I was thirteen and I think I'm ready.
2. Run a half marathon--so I can be prepared when the Zombie Attack truly begins.
3. Take dance lessons, because "No one puts Baby in a corner!"
4. Ride the Hiawatha bike trail outside of Coeur d'Alene, ID.  Because I like bikes, and trails.
5. Attend the National Cherry Blossom Festival in Washington, D.C.
6. Attend every show at the Portland Art Museum.
7. Be still in a Japanese Garden.
8. Attend the Washington State Autumn Leaf Festival in Leavenworth, Washington.
9. Learn to play chess.
10. Learn to make cheese.
11. Make twelve new book structures.
12. Learn to become impeccable with my word.
13. Actively manifest through daily meditation.
14. Write a book.
15. Get rid of half of everything I own.
16. Be present.
17. Sing with a band.
18. Spend a weekend at a spa.
19. Regularly write in the journals I began for my children when they were small.
20. Go on a two week juice fast.
21. Grow peaches.
22. Get a bird.
23. Do Bikram Yoga every day for 3 months.
24. Create a rotating dinner menu and actually stick to it.
25. Lose 40lbs....'cause the "baby" is now 9 years old.
26. Go on a weekend get-away with Mountain Man to San Fransisco.
27. Participate in a flashmob.
28. Climb Mt. Hood...or at least get real close.
29. Spend next year's Persied meteor shower in Glacier National Park.
30. Hike to the Granite Park Chalet and spend the night.
31. Jump into Lake McDonald--(It's freezing).
32. Grow my hair long and wear a cowboy hat with confidence.
33. Fit into my wedding dress.
34. Learn more about technology--I don't even know enough now to know what it is I need to learn...
35. Go boating on the Willamette River.
36. Live in a big city with kids.
37. Spend my 39th birthday doing random acts of kindness.
38. Go clam digging.
39. Read all six volumes of Life and Teachings of the Masters of the Far East.
40. Enjoy the moment.

What's on your list of things to do?

22 comments:

  1. I know it's your 40, but . . . get a bird?
    I think I like #37 second best - - right after #26 (Blake has never been there and it's on my nonexistent list as well).
    And, where is Lake McDonald?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lake McD is in Glacier--I figure I could hit 29, 20 & 31 all in one weekend...:)

      Delete
  2. Solzenitzen's Gulag Archipelago is pretty intense. The first part was delightfully sardonic but it can be pretty disturbing in parts. I haven't managed to get through it yet. Good luck with the list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why I just keep staring at it...;)

      Delete
  3. OK, we'll leave aside the fact that you're a youngster for the purposes of my comment... But are we from the same tribe or what? I was *just* thinking this week that I want to make a 45-by-45 list (gives me barely 13 months), and here you are, inspiring as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha! It's just our minds thinking alike...you know, great minds do that...;) xo

      Delete
  4. Hmm . . . since I'm almost 52, perhaps I can make a 60 x 60 list and start working on it now since I'd have 8 years to do that many things. Quite a concept! Now what's to put on my list . . . oh yes - get my book published!

    Good luck with your list - it sounds fun (most of it anyways!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do it! I think my list would be different for sure if I had more time...:)

      Delete
  5. Im with Sheila (we're the same age!)... a 60x60 list is a great idea.
    As for yours, dear Lisa? Tremendous, inspiring and smile-inducing.
    You go, girl.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My favourite, for some reason was #32. Maybe it was the wearing it with confidence that tickled me so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think that cowboy hats make me look fat...of course it has NOTHING to do with the fact that it's my butt and not my head....;)

      Delete
  7. I did a 25 by 25 list a long time ago. 40 by 40 would be a great challenge (I'm a few months younger than you). Um... got myself thinking what I'd put on such a list now... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I want to read your list, Annalisa! :)

      Delete
  8. Wow! That's a lot to do. I hope you have a lot of time before you turn forty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your number 1. & 3. made me laugh out loud, thank you! I could TOTALLY relate to numbers, 12, 14, 16, 19 & 33.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck fishing your list!!

    I have always seen these, and need to make one of my own. So many things to do, seemingly so little time, and, unless I write it down, a memory that will not remember all of the things I mention that I want to do in passing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Huh. I think I've had a copy of The Gulag Archipelago since the early '80s--and no, I still haven't gotten around to reading it.

    I have a huge list of things I'd like to eventually get around to doing. I've even made a tiny bit of progress.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I commented, but it's gone! Every time I post a comment on a blog using this type of comment form (embedded), it briefly posts and then disappears. (You probably won't see this one either.)

    ReplyDelete