Monday, September 24, 2012

It's the Small Stuff

A few weekends ago, our circle of friends went out to dinner then ended up at our house because there were children and babysitters at the others. We are all 30-somethings and in the middle of raising smallish children, anxiously watching our careers grow while drowning in laundry or bills (or both), and trying hard to remember that it's the small stuff that really counts.

We sat around drinking Diet Coke (because that's all we had to offer everyone besides rice milk and tap water) and our conversation turned to great 80's movies. We discussed in fine detail the best movies of our generation and agreed it came down to three (two of which stared Molly Ringwald and that guy that I can NEVER remember the name of but who recently starred in "The Dead Zone"....you know, what's-his-name.)

Anyway, it was agreed that our top three picks for best 80's movies were Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Breakfast Club, and Sixteen Candles.  

Ferris wins for the sheer cool factor. Who hasn't wanted to skip school, steal your best friend's father's car, tool around downtown Chicago or lip-sync to "Twist & Shout" in a parade??

The hoodlums of Shermer High win for best representation of 80's angst in The Breakfast Club (angst that, incidentally, we still carry close to our hearts as 30-somethings) and for the fact that all of us wanted to be a bad-arse like Judd Nelson or crazy like Ally Sheedy--'cause people don't mess with tough or crazy and tough and crazy are faaaaaaaar better tools to navigate adulthood with than say, diamond earrings--but if you can have both, then you should.

Sixteen Candles made the running because all of the husbands admired the puck of that one kid (I still can't remember his name) when he asked for Samantha's underwear--and all the wives often dream of Jake Ryan doing the dishes, or vacuuming. Which, personally, if Quasimodo wants to do my dishes, I'd dream of him too--but you get the point.

The evening ended with our friend, ZF, recording the greeting on the outgoing message on our answering machine. He chose the one that Cameron left to put the red-headed evil principal off of Ferris' trail. He said, "You have reached the Coughlin Brothers Mortuary. We are deeply sorry we are unable to come to the phone right now, but if you leave your name and number we'll get back to you as soon as humanly possible."  Beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

When my phone rings, I wait for the machine to pick up so I can hear the reaction of the caller on the other end. Usually they hang up and call back immediately thinking they dialed the wrong number and for some reason, it makes me laugh every time.
...'cause after all, it's the small stuff.

What small thing brings you joy?

15 comments:

  1. I loved 16 candles. The kid was Anthony Michael Hall who grew up great! Bulked up, looks good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THAT'S his name! And yes, yes he does look good...;)

      Delete
  2. Today a Mallow Cup brought me joy, but any of those three movies do the trick as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oooooooo...mallow cup....mmmmmmm. :)

      Delete
  3. domestic bliss. enjoy it, it really goes faster than you think


    Aloha from Honolulu,

    Comfort Spiral
    =^..^=

    > < } } ( ° >

    > < } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ferris Bueller is one of my favourite movies of ALL TIME. One of my favourite songs is Dankeschoen (or however the heck it's spelled) because of Ferris dancing on the parade float. And even though he's old, like me, I still have a thing for Matthew Broderick. I just saw him in Tower Heist and while he's less cool and more nerdy in this flick, there's still something boyish and completely boinkable about him.

    Now I definitely want to go out and buy an answering machine so I can record that.

    You've got Diet Coke? With ice? No need for anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like my morning coffee. *Looks left and right* Why do I feel like I've sinned by admitting that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!!! No need to look left or right here, everyone is welcome at THIS table, honey! :)

      Delete
  6. You must be the age of my kids! Great observations, though, about a bittersweet era...

    ReplyDelete
  7. That ZF you speak so well of brings me joy. He's my Jake. xoxo

    ReplyDelete