Wednesday, September 19, 2012

On Houses & Roses

I have an unnatural attachment to the house I live in. I think it has to do with the fact that over the last five years we've resurfaced, painted, stripped or refinished practically every thing in this old house. My hands painted every square inch of the outside, except for the windows in the mudroom which are filled with countless mullions--my mom did those because I missed the line for patience.

Our house isn't big, and we all share (remarkably well) one bathroom (which isn't very big either)--and I'm in constant amazement of this old girl everyday. It's weathered and dusty (no matter how many times I clean it) and it groans a lot, (but I would too if I lived for 113 years). Our house has character. It's a house of love and joy. I get the feeling that the people who lived here before us loved well, and can't help but feel like their love kind of spilled over onto us too. 

Sitting in the dining room, surrounded by dark wood, the morning sun shines through the eastern windows and the aged wood grain breathes anew. Nicks and scratches and the life of this house are illuminated, but I don't see the nicks or the scratches because the light evens out all of those little imperfections.

The rooms are surprisingly spacious for a house this size. Every door and window has thick molding, making me feeling like I live in a house of picture frames. The yard is small, but with enough room for a two story tree house and a swing which gets a lot of use. It's a cozy little house.

I realize that I'm just talking about a place--and at the core it doesn't really matter what kind of house that I live in, but I am reminded of what the fox said in The Little Prince when he uttered, "People have forgotten this truth, but you mustn't forget it. You become responsible forever for what you've tamed. You're responsible for your rose."

Our house, this old creaky contraption, is my rose. All of our spare time over the last five years has been put into recreating the old girl, making her shine again. She's been our hobby, our joy, a place that protects us from the storms of life and where peace resides. Sometimes I get freaked out because we are slaves to where we live, but then I think of St. Exupery who said, "It is time you have wasted for your rose that makes your rose so important."

...and then I don't feel so bad.

How do you feel about your home? What is your hobby? 







  


18 comments:

  1. Oh Lisa! I feel the same way about my home. So much time and work and sweat for the place we call home. It really is more than just a house. Thanks for sharing the sentiment!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your house. But your house is a reflection of you, not the other way around. All that's missing is a dog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as Mountain Man lives here, no dog every will...but we do have two fish...;)

      Delete
  3. Gawd, I'm in love with your house also!
    We don't even want to talk about my little apartment. Ha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Thank you--but it really evolved on its own...kind of...;)

      Delete
  5. it's gorgeous, I like to live there even with the nicks and scratches. if you spend so much time fixing something up, it's only natural to love it since you've used your own two hands to get it just right.

    hope you have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your day is lovely too! If we lived near one another, I'd have you over for tea! :)

      Delete
  6. I want to move in! I'm not a house person. I wish I had an artist's eye, but instead I see only scattered Legos and handprints on the wall. Perhaps one day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have our share of Legos and handprints too--they only add to the charm and really make it a home. :)

      Delete
  7. You have every reason to feel attached. It's a lovely home. I bet the house itself appreciates the care you've taken in refurbishing her. I think the love you put into the work is a kind of energy that the walls and floors soak up. \

    I like my home too. It's a simple one bathroom house. But we have this nice back porch, a big back yard and a great view.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love to hear when others love their homes...and oh! You have a view! :)

      Delete
  8. That looks like a house out of a picture book :) Very adorable.

    I love my current house, even though it is an apartment, is only temporary, and might is definitely not as old and wise as yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it matters how old a house is, as long as the person living there loves it. :)

      Delete
  9. I like your house! It reminds me of some homes in St. Louis city. So cute and full of character!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS full of character, even if it creaks and groans! :)

      Delete