Monday, October 8, 2012

Letting Go

We are moving.

Moving, I tell you.

Mooooooooooooooooooooooooving. 

Moving.

Quite unexpectedly, and without much warning, we are leaving the lives that we've built here for the last five years and heading west. 

We will be tearing our children from their schools. 
We will be leaving jobs we've loved. 
We will be saying goodbye to our friends (who have become family).

The prospect is horrifying. 

And beyond that horror is only a slightly less horrifying process (but only slightly). The process I'm talking about is the fact that we will have to pack up every stupid thing we own and drag it across the landscape several hundred miles.

Thinking about it makes me want to own less. 

No, strike that--thinking about moving makes me wish that the zombie apocalypse had already begun so my only concern was how much ammo I had. 

But I digress...
Moving makes me want to own less. Mostly because whatever I own has usually ended up owning me. 

Like this house.
"Whipped!" it whispers to me in the middle of the night, as I lie awake, dreaming of empty drawers.

So Saturday, I got rid of half of my worldly possessions.  

It felt amazing. 

It felt like letting go. 

I feel like I've turned a corner, like I can utter the words, "I'm moving" without bursting into tears.

And I also had some fun at the moving sale. 

Here are a few of the signs I put up on various items: 












It was a good way to let go.

P.S. If you know me in "real" life, please don't call me tomorrow asking me when or why we are moving. All I'm at liberty to tell you is that it involves a secret plot with a catapult, Area 51, cattle mutilations, Mitt Romney and Super PACs. If I told you anymore, I'd have to kill you.


"Breathe. Let go. And remind yourself that this very moment is the only one you have for sure."
 ~Oprah Winfrey

How do you "let go"?

26 comments:

  1. You are one brave woman! You KNOW the phone is gonna ring, the doorbell's gonna buzz... but YEAH for you anyway. Turning a corner is what it's all about! (Sad as I am to write that, my new friend. Sigh. Just glad the world is bigger than this small town and we will bump into each other ALL OVER the interwebs, I know.) xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brrrrrrrinnnnnnng....brrrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnng.....yes, that's me not answering the phone...;)

      I will always lurk around your blog too Miss Sher! So no worries about EVER trying to get away from me!!! ;)

      xoxo

      Delete
  2. I love it.
    P.S. I hope you're coming home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, well I love you.
      And no, we aren't coming home...sigh.
      xo

      Delete
  3. YOU move me all the time.
    Loves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You move me all the time. AND now again. I will miss you terribly and am so goad that I get to see you now and again.
    Loves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, Tina, you are amazing! I will miss you more than you could ever know! You lift and love and encourage and rejoice--I treasure you!!!
      xo

      Delete
  5. I'd love to get rid of the stuff in my house, mostly because none of it is mine - I'm not very materialistic, so I have what I need... but - boy - do those bloomin' kids have a ton of useless stuff!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was soooooo proud of my kids!! They got rid of a TON of toy stuff--they boiled it down to Legos...:)

      Delete
  6. It can't be easy moving places, especially your wonderful ancient home! But there must be great things in store for you at your new place :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may be calling you to remind me of that....;) Hee!

      Delete
  7. I do believe you have the wherewithal to make ANYTHING fun! Remind me to be hanging out at your new digs when the zombies hit town.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, DUH Miss Cathy! Of COURSE you're coming to my house when the zombies hit town! I figure between Dave and Mountain Man, we may all have a fighting chance! ;)

      Delete
  8. Now that is my kind of garage sale. :)

    Good luck with the move!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a fun day! Thanks, Madeline!

      Delete
  9. I have same issues with owning stuff but I'm slowly trying to get rid of some things I don't need or want, but mostly I keep hanging onto things that I shouldn't but a moving sale is a good idea and I like your signs, silly and fun.

    good luck with the move. I'm sure you'll do fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lissa, it will all work out!

      Delete
  10. Lisa! When are you moving?! Why are you moving?? haha just kidding. again, thanks for letting us crash your garage sale. I should have put cool signs on our crappy stuff, too. Oh, by the way, Mitt called and wants you to call him back. ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tired to get a old of him but when the phone rain all I heard was, "Mooooooooooooooo."
      Someone needs to check his receptionist...;)

      Delete
  11. i think i need that area rug for you know what when you know when happens. zombie brains. yum. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I already have one in reserve for you on that fateful day. Our kids can do the honors together.

      P.S. Atticus is very excited that he has a "new best friend" who's room is "allllllllll legos." :)

      Delete
  12. Love this post. I'm an Air Force brat, so moving was second nature to me. Fast forward to adulthood. I moved to Georgia to teach in 1969, met a really cute guy and decided to stay and put down roots. I've lived in Georgia for 43 years now. The thought of moving brings on some akin to St. Vidas Dance movements. Good luck in your move, though. Love your sale signs. Bet you sold a bunch of stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha!!! I never thought we were gypsies until now, I would have loved to stay and make these roots take hold for longer...:)
      Thank you for the luck! :)

      Delete
  13. Well, I'll be honest - I'm going to pout and be sad that I won't get to see your face much after you move. Or cause scandal by hugging Mountain Man at church.

    We might have to make a pact to attend family reunions from here on out. :)

    Love you bunches (and do you want your ladder back???)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Why would I want my ladder??? I gave it to you!!! Go enjoy it, and I will be finding more cute stuff for us to do Pinterest projects on in Portland!! Whooohoooo!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love your writing! I clicked over here from somewhere...good look with your move and hope it's not too stressful. Love the Oprah quote too :)

    ReplyDelete