Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Catching Up on Giving Thanks Because I Was Distracted By Pie

I've got to do a catch up. I vowed to do thirty days of giving thanks each day during November and of course (I was thankful in my heart) but...I was distracted by the pie.

There was an abundance of pie and an available fork, so I took it upon myself save the pie from lonliness, and friend, I succeeded.  

So, after some Pepto and a nap, here are days 21 through 27:

Wednesday, the 21st: We stuck it to the man, and all skipped school. I'm grateful for having a "Man" to stick it to, that my kids attend fabulous schools--even if we skip them from time to time.

Thursday, the 22nd: Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. Although Black Friday bleed seems to be creeping in, it is still just a day of thanks...mostly. I'm grateful we have at least ONE day devoted to thankfulness.

Friday, the 23rd: Mountain Man and I ran to Portland for a quick jaunt to look at a potential future house. (It was love at first sight.) I'm grateful for shelter.

Saturday, the 24th: Home again, and after a lifetime of cars that break down everytime I attempted to start them, I'm grateful for a running and reliable vehicle.

Sunday, the 25th: Running water. It's always a bit squished trying to navigate four people in one bathroom before church on Sunday morning, but I am extremely grateful for running water in my home. This is a privilege a great majority of people do not get to enjoy on planet earth. I am humbled each time I turn on the tap and take a drink of clean water.

Monday, the 26th: We put up our Christmas tree and officially "began" the holiday season. As I pulled out each ornament, memories filled my mind. I'm grateful for memories, friendships, stories, time, friends and family. They make life worth living.

Today (Tuesday) the 27th: I raked up the last leaves from our ginormous maple tree. I love that tree. It blesses us with shade in the Summer, beauty and blossoms in the Spring and my most favorite smell on earth.
For a few short weeks as the maple blossoms bloom in March, maple trees give off this smell that reminds me of Montreal. It's truly lovely, and I look forward to it each year. I'm grateful for the leaves this lovely living organism sheds so that we can work together as a family to rake them up and have a little fun in the process. It's been a pleasure and privilege living under it's grace.


     
What are you grateful for today? 

10 comments:

  1. Don't sweat it, pie is notoriously distracting. Always waving shiny objects and saying things like "Look, a ninja!" while pointing behind you.

    Sneaky pie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darn straight! Pie is SNEAKIER than ninjas....:)

      Delete
  2. I am grateful that I have your blog to turn to whenever I need a smile! Your opening paragraph is a case in point!

    I am grateful that you fill me with appreciation anew for things I take for granted. Running water inside the house, especially, a house in which to live and NEED running water, and multiple bathrooms in said house even though it STILL is a bit squished trying to get everybody ready for church on time! And I absolutely did not know that maple trees produce a smell of any kind, delightful or otherwise!!! My nose hasn't worked since high school; glad my eyes do, because big old maple trees are perhaps my very favorites. Love you and thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, I am grateful for YOU! You lift and lighten my journey too--I'm soooooooo grateful for your giving heart and love of God. Thank you for being you!

      Delete
  3. If you left somewhere in the Midwest to re-locate in the Portland area, we seemed to have switched places.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life is strange like that isn't it? We are just in Eastern WA state though....

      Delete
  4. My sister Joy loves your blog and I have now joined. Great writing. Great humor. Enjoying your love of life.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to ignore the part about house-hunting in Portland and just smile that you had a lovely Thanksgiving. I, also, stuck it to the MAN and took my boy out for TWO days--grandparents were visiting, who can go to school with them around, really??

    Blessings on you in this transition time, friend. Plotting our next shared meal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Skipping school ROCKS. And here's the deal in moving: Have car. Will travel for lunch. ;) ALWAYS. We will just have to schedule it....:)

      Let's meet soon....xoxo

      Delete