Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Day 20 of Giving Thanks, or, The Fancy Hatted Baptist

Thanksgiving break is upon us, well, almost upon us--we are skipping school tomorrow because (to be honest) it's just dumb that my kids have to attend school for just a half day, so I'm protesting this stupidity by not sending them.

Take that, Man. (As in, THE Man.)

With Thanksgiving, comes family--the good, the bad, the ugly, the insane, the loving, the kind, the enjoyable-- and often, family are all of these adjectives rolled into one with a side dish of coo-coo-kachoo.

We haven't lived near family in a very long time and we stopped traveling on Thanksgiving quite a few years ago because we wanted to start our own tradition...annnnnnd...we're lazy. This was about the time that I also decided that Thanksgiving dinner only tasted good if my own mother made it, and to eat a Thanksgiving meal prepared by anyone else (including me) was just a waste of calories so we started eating Thai on that blessed day instead.

Over the years, this hasn't caused too much trouble. In fact, it saves a lot of time and hassle. The one draw back with not traveling on Thanksgiving is that we do miss our family. This year, however, our dear dear daughter (not by birth, but certainly in spirit), The Fancy Hatted Baptist, is coming home from college to spend the week with us and her other friends who live in town (...but mostly with us.)

And yes, I really do call her "The Fancy Hatted Baptist" because she is fancy, and frequently rocks a hat.
She is also a Baptist...but just in her heart.

Our "adopted" daughter's marvelous family moved to Missouri last year and  instead of making the trip from Utah to Missouri for the short holiday, she's headed our way instead.

We're looking forward to having her home and I'm so grateful for her and her darling parents who are sharing her with us this week!

It's a blessing to be with family.


What are you grateful for today?


10 comments:

  1. I am thankful for you babe, and everything you add to this crazy world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwww, I'm grateful for YOU! And I'm looking forward to seeing you more in the near future...xo!

      Delete
  2. Awww Lisa I love y'all xo see you soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is SUCH a nice story.. and what a fabulous smile this Fancy Hatted Baptist has! Surely you will break down and fix a turkey for your lovely guest????

    And kudos for "giving it to the man..." The man really needs it. LIke, really does. Thanks for your kind note on my blog today... oxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha!!! Actually, she doesn't LIKE TURKEY EITHER!!!! Heeehee!!! That's why she's my daughter...;)

      xoxo

      Delete
  4. Have a wonderful Thaisgiving! I ams o thankful for all of the love in my life today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy happy Thanksgiving, Andrea!!

      Delete
  5. Hey, Thai sounds like a great idea! Maybe I'll try that next year. Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete