Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Day 28 of Giving Thanks, or, Why I'm Grateful For Mountain Man, Even Though He Hates Soup

There is a serious division in the Square Toothed/Mountain Man household. It is a matter of the utmost importance and effects the fate of all mankind--at least in this house.

The subject of which I speak is soup.

My feelings for soup cannot be properly put into words. My adoration of the steaming, one-pot-wonder we call soup cannot be properly described.

Mountain Man feels quite differently.
He doesn't like soup.
This information came as a quite a surprise after fifteen years of marriage.

My response when he told me was something akin to, "You're dead to me."

More accommodating wives may have said, "Oh, no problem, we won't eat soup anymore."

Not me.

In fact, since he told me, we've eaten more soup than ever before.

Now, before you think this is some kind of passive-aggressive ploy on my part, let me assure you--it's not.
You see, if there's a character trait I possess in spades, it's determination. In fact, I'm pretty sure I would have made a successful spy. I could have turned all the other spies to work for my government. I can be pretty convincing.

Just ask my childhood friend, Diane, who didn't think it would be a good idea to call up the boy she liked and ask him to the next school dance.
I talked her into it.
And now they're married...
...of course, a lot happened in between the dance and the wedding, but like any good friend, I take complete and total credit for it.

I just can't quite shake the idea that if I make a different soup every night and use my convincing charisma, that Mountain Man might look at me on evening and say, "WOW! I had NO idea soup was so amazing!!"

I mean, after all, it's soup.
Soup is versatile and can be served hot or cold, it can be made quickly or can sit around in a crock pot all day. It's cheap, easy and efficient. Soup can be made with just about anything and it goes great with my other favorite food: crackers.
Simply put: Soup is a wonder food.

So, who in their right mind doesn't like soup???

...Well... Mountain Man, I guess.

But the problem lies in the fact that I equate soup haters with clowns, Darth Vadar, stalkers and mimes. Oh, and zombies--don't forget the zombies.

So what to do when you find yourself married to the enemy?

I haven't quite figured that part out yet.
But there's one thing I know for sure: I'm grateful for Mountain Man. He eats every bowl of soup I give him.

It was potato tonight.  



What are you grateful for today?

7 comments:

  1. I would have enjoy the potato soup if I was there. I love soup. I think it's comfort food and it goes great with everything.

    can't help with mountain man but at least he's not refusing your soup, he sounds like a sweet man.

    hope you have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is a super sweet man. Patient, kind and loving. Minus the whole soup hating thing, he's pretty cool! :)

      I hope you have a wonderful holiday too!

      Delete
  2. HAHAHAHAHA! It's true, I'm not a soup lover but I laughed uproariously at your post and even read it out loud to my husband. In our house, he's the soup lover and me, not so much. I like Lipton's Chicken Noodle when I'm sick and Campbell's Tomato as long as there are lots of soda crackers topped with peanut butter... other than that, meh. (Although I have to admit my mom used to make a killer potato soup with lots of slippery and yummy dumplings... and yours looks pretty good, too.)

    OK, so I guess I don't HATE soup. I eat it and everything. It's just not substantial enough for my taste. (Concrete blocks, now they're substantial.)

    By the way, this made me laugh out LOUD: "In fact, since he told me, we've eaten more soup than ever before."

    You're such a funny chick.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! Tomato soup with crackers, yes, peanut butter?? No thank you--have you considered that it's the peanut butter that may be ruining your soup experience? ;)

      xo!

      Delete
  3. After devouring my steaming bowl of wedding soup on Saturday, I turned to see if my husband finished his. He was practically licking the bowl.

    Sometimes it is good to be with a man who doesn't like soup.

    More for you.

    (P.S. We totally did the Soup Nazi in NYC years ago and LOVED it).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least I can scream, "NO SOUP FOR YOU!" at him and I don't have to feel bad because he doesn't want any soup anyway...and yes, Marianne, don't think I haven't considered that fact that there's more soup for me!!! Heee heee!

      Delete