Sunday, November 4, 2012

Day 4 of thanks, or, Why I Don't Punch Babies

Sometimes I ditch church.

Seriously. Sometimes I just can't sit there any longer and flee for the hills.

Sometimes I don't.

Sometimes the holy spirit moves in me while sitting in those cramped little hobbit pews and I'm all, "Praise the Lord!" at least in my mind--because Mormons (in general) worship kind of quietly.

Sometimes I text my friends.
Sometimes I listen.
Sometimes I zone out and forget what the speaker just said and look over at Mountain Man who has faithfully set aside one hour a week (at church) for his Sunday nap and I think, "Rest on, Mountain Man. Rest on."

Other times, I look at his head nodding in his fitful sacrament meeting nappage and I flick the tip of his nose to get him to wake up.

Never once do I leave him alone.

Other times, I feel this overwhelming love for everyone in that place...and just to be perfectly honest...sometimes I could punch the nearest baby.

...O.k., I'd never REALLY punch a baby.

The point is, I'm trying to figure "it" all out.
"It" being spirituality, religion, tradition, culture, joy, peace, love unfeigned...you get the idea.

I'm not there yet...and I may never be.
But I will cast my net as wide and as far as possible and gather in as much light and truth as I can. From the cathedral at Chartres, to the Mountains of Montana, from Jesus to Buddah and everything in between, there's a lot of joy, beauty and truth to behold.

So today, I'm grateful for the joy in Jesus. I'm grateful for the life of the person we call Buddah. I'm grateful for the words of the Koran and the Bible and the Bhagavad Gita and the Tao Te-Ching and every holy book.
I'm grateful for the questions, and the answers, and especially for that quiet and still voice that whispers, "Calm down ladyface, don't punch that baby."

What are you grateful for today?



15 comments:

  1. Can you send that quiet and still voice over here today? I totally wanted to punch a baby yesterday. And by "baby," I mean the stupid lady doing high-finance in the drive-through at the bank (back and forth with the tube, calculator in hand, writing stuff down). Jesus kept me from killing her. Yay God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'Just being the seeker, somebody who's open to spiritual enlightenment, is in itself the important thing and it's the reward for being a seeker in this world'.
    Walter Isaacson

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's definitely something to be grateful for, having the willpower to not punch babies!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I have to say that I love your theme for November, the Thirty Days of Giving Thanks - terrific!

    Secondly, I love God. I love church. But sometimes when I'm sitting there I think to myself that if I have to listen to one more person utter one more word I am absolutely going to EXPLODE!!!! So my solution to keep from hitting the nearest baby is to slip out of my pew as discreetly as possible, keys and a buck or two in hand, and drive to the nearest McDonald's or Speedway for a quick cup of coffee and a breath of fresh air!!! I forewarned my husband that this may occur and not to worry, I WILL be back, a better and happier person as a result. So today I am grateful for for the God Who knows all about my limits and issues, completely understands my need for caffeine escapes, and loves me thoroughly, whether I'm listening to the preacher speak about Him or talking to Him directly over a cup of joe. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we lived in the same town and we could skip out together! ;)

      Delete
  5. I'm grateful that I wasn't sitting next to you when you wanted to punch a baby. Seriously, though, I am grateful for repentance. Every. single. day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i too am grateful for a spiritual journey that is allowing me to remember exactly who I AM and always was and will always be - the I AM. I think you already know everything you seek, but we sure like to make it hard to feel and know the truth of our eternal selves , especially when noisy babies are way past cute and i would like to strangle their parents for not thinking of others and taking the child out to quiet them - wow this just made me think that church and walmart have a lot in common.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahhahahaa!!! I've never thought about church and walmart being the same! Hee!

      Delete
  7. Please don't punch a baby, pay attention to that still, small voice! Ha.

    There is a lot of joy, beauty and truth to behold, and I'm very grateful for that. There is so much to learn from others, even (and maybe especially, for me) from those that annoy the heck out of me and I want to punch in the face. Sigh. Learning is hard work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right on, Sher! The deepest learning comes from wanting to punch, but refraining. :)
      ....and, I don't really want to go to jail. ;)

      Delete
  8. Sorry, but I'd pay good money to see you slug a baby in church. heheheheheheheh

    ReplyDelete