Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Day 6 of Giving Thanks, or, How I Stayed Sane During Election Season

I have a secret.

This secret has saved my fragile sanity during this election season, and I am truly grateful for it.

I haven't heard or seen a single political ad.
Not a SINGLE one.

Nada.
Nishto.

The secret to my inner peace and maintenance of my fragile sense of sanity?

I turned off the television...and the radio.
I didn't watch a single debate...well, not by choice anyway. My daughter had to watch one for school, so I yelled at the screen for about fifteen minutes and did a fair amount of eye rolling and then walked out of the room.

In walking away, I got my power back.

I am filled with gratitude for the process of election in this country. I'm grateful to be able to be apart of it, to vote, to make my voice count.

But mostly, I'm grateful for the written word, for print media, which can be read
...out loud...while doing an impression of Sean Connery.

See? Fragile sanity.

To my U.S. readers, Happy Election Day!



10 comments:

  1. I avoid those ads too. In the UK they sometimes stick random ones on, even when there's no election in sight - I turn off straight away, and I feel good :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the only way to function! :)

      Delete
  2. You know the awesome thing about Sean Connery is that he can play a Russian submarine captain and still have the same Scottish accent. (Now read that while doing a Sean Connery impression and there is your laugh for today! You're welcome!) :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just did! Hee!!!:)And, thank you! ;)

      Delete
  3. So you didn't see that awesome commercial with Wilf Farrell offering to punch himself in the face if you vote? Worth the price of admission, I'm telling ya...

    And I have a not-so-secret "thing" for Sean Connery. He plays heavy in my book's only "smutty" scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooooooo! A Sean Connery smutty scene! Can't wait to read it! Hee!

      Delete
  4. I love the idea of doing the readings in the voice of Sean Connery.

    I might try to do political articles in a dramatic voice - like soap operas - from now on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or you could just sing it like an opera...:)

      Delete
  5. I want to do political articles with a Muppet voice. How funny would that be? Kermit De Frog here...

    ReplyDelete