Friday, November 30, 2012

Days 29 & 30 of Giving Thanks, or, Why I'm Grateful for Fire

I'm writing this post while sitting next to a fire. Not a house fire--but a fire in the house.
I looooooves me some fire.

I grew up in a house with a wood burning fireplace. Our job was to keep that puppy burning as hot as possible to heat the entire house. It may sound like I lived in a one room cabin, but I actually lived in a lovely suburban home, but my dad was a furnace Nazi.

Furnace Nazi?
YES. Furnace Nazi: a person who would not turn up the heat until actual icicles formed on your nose and eyelashes indoors.

Fortunately, I grew up feeling free to turn up the furnace as high as I want.
Unfortunately for my family, that's a balmy 63 degrees during the Winter months.

For this reason, I love our wood buring stove. I know, I know, I'm totally contributing to climate change, pollution, obesity in whales, and the extinction of the dandelion. But there's nothing I love more than the crackle and pop of a freshly started fire.

When the fire is lit, we all come from the corners of the house and gather together--it's probably just so we can combine our body heat to stave off the frost bite, but there's nothing that brings us together faster than a fire.

What are you grateful for today?




8 comments:

  1. For a moment, I was there before the fire!


    Aloha Blessings
    from Honolulu
    Comfort Spiral

    ~ > < } } ( ° >

    > < 3 3 3 ( ' >

    ><}}(°> ~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love fires too! In fact, I plan to nap by one most of the day tomorrow. That's my PLAN.

    I also grew up in a house that was heated primarily by a wood stove/furnace. Extra bonus was that my brother and I hauled the wood from a massive outdoor pile to our basement furnace room pretty much every weekend all winter long--while singing the soundtrack to Annie, or Camelot, or My Fair Lady. (And my brother is actually hetero, so go figure. We had fun.)

    There you go, a little more than you needed to know, but that's how it goes. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol!! I love your memories and I your plan is ideal!!! :)

      Delete
  3. I love fireplaces! I just wish I lived somewhere where it got cold enough to warrant one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya...and I AM grateful that I do. The heat makes me melt...:)

      Delete
  4. I am grateful to hear that I am not the only one with the thermostat set at 63!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahha!! It's my dad in me for sure!! ;)

      Delete