Tuesday, December 25, 2012

The Best Christmas Present Ever

I'm going to tell you a story. It's a Christmas story.
My Christmas story.

Four months ago, Mountain Man walked away from his dream job.
To use the words of one person who works at his former company, "The way he was treated was hideous."
It was a shock.

For the next two weeks, we walked around in a kind of stupor. We would look at each other and say, "What is going on?"
 Our plan for life was completely turned on it's head. And to be honest, we both felt betrayed, lied to, and just down right angry.

This tiny town isn't a place with a lot of opportunity. So right off the bat, we'd knew we'd have to move for Mountain Man's career, and because I can do whatever I do, where ever I am, I was o.k. with that.
I felt rage at the employer who was bringing such heartache to Mountain Man, and my kids who would be ripped from their routines, schools, and friends.

I was just mad, and sad, and then mad some more.

The weeks passed and we were jobless, down, out and a little depressed. Neither of us could see the path that we felt sure was before us.
We just knew there was one.

So what do you do when everything goes wrong?

Some people drink. Some people shoot other people. Some people pray.
I prayed.
We both did. Our friends, family and we even heard that some strangers prayed for us.

I felt their love....and this love gave me hope which swallowed up my anger, dissapointment and sorrow.

So we put our beloved, (and now fully restored) home up for sale, which broke my heart, and tried to move forward. Mountain Man put out a dozen CV's. We talked to the kids.
We cried.
They cried.
We prayed some more.

And then, like a good stew, after we put all of our wishes, desires, prayers, anger, frustration and everything else we were feeling into the pot, it all came to a rolling boil last week.

Last Wednesday, we sold our house.
Thursday, Mountain Man got a smokin' job offer beyond our wildest imaginings.
Saturday, we found a new house located in a great school district.
And the best part?
We have friends already living in the area who are like family.

The Lord is giving us safe landing once again.
Because oftentimes, I get all riled up and anxious on the journey. When I do, if I remember to take a deep breath, I feel my Father's gentle hand upon my shoulder and a quiet whisper that says, "It's all going to be alright."

Because, "He will give beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, and the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness." (Isaiah 61:3)

I don't have the proper words to describe my gratitude, but we are grateful and humbled beyond measure that He sees us out of the corner of his eye.

It was the best Christmas present ever.

_____________________________________________



"Be content with what you have; rejoice in the way things are. When you realize nothing is lacking, the whole world belongs to you." ~Lao Tzu

“We think that the point is to pass the test or overcome the problem, but the truth is that things don't really get solved. They come together and they fall apart. Then they come together again and fall apart again. It's just like that. The healing comes from letting there be room for all of this to happen: room for grief, for relief, for misery, for joy. ” 
~Pema Chödrön








32 comments:

  1. I am really happy for you guys, you deserve all the happiness in the world. Your friendship helped me through a dark time. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. Having friends already there is such a blessing. You will be missed but I am glad it all worked out. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am really happy for you guys, you deserve all the happiness in the world. Your friendship helped me through a dark time. You have been in my thoughts and prayers. Having friends already there is such a blessing. You will be missed but I am glad it all worked out. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited. I love you guys so much. I love you my dear adopted family!! Xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next Thanksgiving you're coming "home" to us!!! :)

      Delete
  4. So, so, so THRILLED to hear the good news! Happy holidays, Lisa! And happy trails!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank so much, Cathy!!! Whooooohoooooo!!!!

      Delete
  5. Oh, such a beautiful post, and I'm happy beyond words for all of you!!! It is so hard sometimes to hold on to faith in the midst of the disappointment and fear, but each time God brings us through these kind of things our trust grows and it's a little easier to believe the next time that all things work together for good to those who love God!!! Good luck, and I'm so glad to know that you will keep us "post"ed, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elaine, YOUR posts were a light in the midst of the darkness! I can't tell you how I looked forward to them and the peace and calm they proclaimed! Thank you for being you!!

      Delete
  6. Merry Christmas. May 2013 bring you an over abundance of joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Michael! I hope the new year brings you peace and joy too!!

      Delete
  7. i wish i were half the wordsmith that you are, so ill be brief. I AM SO HAPPY YOU AND I ARE GOING TO LIVE IN THE SAME TOWN. you are an inspiration and I am so looking forward to getting to know your family and see you often. i feel like I am winning because you are moving, sorta selfish, i know, but you guys are going to love it here! Happy Birthday, dear girl. Ill see you soon!

    PS my phone died, send me a text soon so i have your number ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My darling girl, (because we are still 16 in my mind...) you and one other are who I mentioned in this post when I said, "We have friends who are like family already living in that area."
      I'm thrilled we get to renew and rejoice together soon!!!!
      I love you, Ladyface!!

      Delete
  8. Love and best wishes on this next grand adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those who put their faith and trust in God are never let down! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so happy for you and your family. I hope that your new home brings a lot of happiness to you, and you enjoy your new adventure. Merry Christmas!
    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  11. mazel tov! a new beginning .. perfect in every way .. it was bashert (meant to be)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sure feels that way. And we are grateful!

      Delete
  12. so a wonderful christmas for you all and a wonderful christmas for me to hear your wonderful news - tell me more about the new landing place and job etc when you can, because i selfishly love to have a picture in my mind of where you are and what you are doing - love you all so very much

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We love you right back with our whole hearts my dearest Auntie. I love you!!

      Delete
  13. This is the best gift one could receive (other than diet coke).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pretty much. And that lunch at Bajios was pretty good too. :D

      Delete
  14. I am so happy for you and inspired by your bravery in the face of much uncertainty! I hope that 2013 is a stellar year for both of us! You are loved, my friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenny!! I hope 2013 is a year of joy and rest for YOU!!! Much love to you and the gremlins!! xoxo

      Delete
  15. I'm so glad everything's working out for you. New starts are hard, even more so when they're not necessarily of your own doing. What a great start to 2013 for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Annalisa! We are very excited--it's great to have a fresh start! :)

      Delete
  16. Lisa,
    I'm so glad you shared your story and that you are trusting in God for your future.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats!

    So happy for you and your family! Thanks for sharing this story!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Lovely post! :)
    Congrats! And a very Happy New Year to you and your folks at home! :)

    ReplyDelete