Thursday, January 17, 2013

Moving Hospice

I am in hospice care--not LITERAL hospice care, because I wouldn't be writing a blog post if I were dying. Rather, I'm in moving hospice care. Meaning, I'm taking a step back from where I live and I simply can't wait to get outta here.

The last of the hoops has been jumped through this morning. I can now pack in peace and leave the boxes in the room they are in, just waiting for the movers to toss them on the truck.

I don't return phone calls of people who want me to do something for them in February, because I won't be here.

When people say, "I'm so sorry you are moving." I try to keep a straight face and say, "That is so kind, we will miss being here." Because the truth is, we really won't miss being here. A change was long overdue... And now if I could just manage a way to pack my friends in my bags and take them with me.

I'm excited about the life we will be embarking upon. I wake up in the morning energized and looking forward and feeling a sense of excitement and joy about the coming journey.

I can't help but dream what it will be like to live in a place where the people are kind to pedestrians because they realize that humanity has to get along with one another if any human advancement is going to take place...which explains why Smallville is still so small.

I am focusing on the very dear friends I have.
Each lunch date feels like it's on borrowed time.
I'm treasuring every one.

And then it will be time to say goodbye.





14 comments:

  1. So happy that you are ready and eager for this next chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leaving and moving on is like a death and rebirth. You will do well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It IS like a death and rebirth--I can't wait to leave! :)

      Delete
  3. Have you moved often? I moved from Hong Kong to the Philippines to Hong Kong to Korea to Hong Kong to Mexico to London to Mexico and each one leaves me so crazy. When I know I'm moving, I just want to go and START my new life. I feel like I straddle two worlds--the new and the old--and that is so hard for me. My easiest move was when I was told we would be moving from Korea to Hong Kong in 3 weeks. I didn't have to spend loads of time saying good-bye to people, and then running into them the next week and saying good-bye again. Easier to run away and keep in touch with true friends. Not saying that's the BEST way to do it, but it tends to be MY way to survive. Enjoy your move:)
    Jenny Wilson

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have moved often, not as often as you have though! I actually love it every time. I think it was the circumstances of this move that made it more difficult. But it will ALL work out and we are excited now!

      Delete
  4. I think it's terrific that you are so excited about the new chapter in your lives and the anticipation and joy you feel about it comes clearly through! I am so happy for you! Can't wait to read all about it! Enjoy those last lunches with the friends in town - you don't have to say goodbye to them, just see you later...and you will! And I love the picture at the end of the post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel excited just reading that post. I'm not sure Hubby will consider moving just because you're making it sound like fun though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is exciting, and daunting and exciting...have I mentioned it's exciting?? ;)

      Delete
  6. Hmmmm. I'm sensing these comments are not from local people. Just a hunch. Local people are all sobbing into their pillows.

    This local person is really looking forward to lunch with you this week! And feeling blessed to have gotten to know you IRL this past year.

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are the only one sobbing!! And what a true joy it has been getting to know you in real life! Oh how I treasure you--and I'm looking forward to this week's lunch date! :) xoxo

      Delete
  7. i am not sobbing and i am excited for you to get on with the move and reunite the mtn man/squaretooth family. packing has never been my favorite thing and i always found it mind numbing. are you renting a home in clackmoo until you can build your own home? Love you darlings

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't blame you for not being sad to leave Walla Walla; I'd be the same way. It's the friends that you'll miss; not this place. I wish you all the best in your new adventures; you don't have to keep a straight face when I tell you that I will miss knowing that Lisa Stott lives on that corner!

    ReplyDelete