Thursday, January 31, 2013

The Long Goodbye

As many of you know, we are soon moving to a (not so) distant land.
The process of pulling away and closing down a life feels like a long goodbye.

Yesterday, I had a treasured walk with a friend and ran into another friend on the way home.
Today, I enjoyed lunch with a dear friend who started out as a blogging buddy, but whom I had the privilege of meeting in "real" life.

This afternoon, as I picked up my son from school, I sat with two of my dearest friends on planet earth. For twenty minutes we talked about nothing...and everything. As I walked away my heart broke a little knowing that these cherished moments of time together can now be numbered on one hand.

I am equally horrified, ecstatically joyful and terrified at what comes next.
Thinking of leaving them fills me with dread.

At the same time, I know that even though the physical distance will change between us that there will always be a connection unbroken by time or space, for these women, sisters really, have imprinted themselves so wholly upon my heart that I am forever changed.



18 comments:

  1. Love that picture. Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you right back, darling girl!!!

      Delete
  2. Where one adventure ends another begins. Life is rich when we treasure the rewards we reap along the way.

    Hope you enjoy the adventure of Blogging from A to Z!

    Lee
    Wrote By Rote
    An A to Z Co-host blog

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those cherished friendships have a way of surviving :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's true. Just no more late night Diet Coke-drinking-fests on the fly!

      Delete
  4. Oooh, that picture, while happy, almost made me tear up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't even remember who took it, but I love it too! :)

      Delete
  5. I love laughing pictures!

    I wish you the best in your move and in staying connected!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You lose nothing, as you carry your friendships in your heart where they can't be stolen away, nor can distance destroy them. And you have everything to gain, "sisters" waiting to meet you, great times together that are just a step or two ahead of where you are now, more laughter than you can yet imagine. Take the love of the old friends with you and bravely step into the new. And write, write, WRITE about it for those of us who are "moving" with you!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just going to say, AMEN. :) xoxoxo LOve you right back!

      Delete
  7. It sounds like you're a person who loves deeply. That kind of love never goes away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwww, that is so sweet, Melanie. Thank you, and I aspire to be that kind of person..:)

      Delete
  8. Hi Lisa
    I'm starting my A-Z blog hop early in the (foolish) hope that I will be able to visit everyone by the end of April.
    Love your blog and I look forward to following your A-Z ing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Deb! It's nice to meet you! I, too, and hoping to make the rounds...but I'm already geting a slooooooooow start! :)

      Delete
  9. Cherish the memories and hold the friendships forever in your heart. Blessings as you make this move.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so familiar with this feeling! It broke my heart to leave my friends and family behind in Georgia when I moved to NYC 3 years ago. It's hard but so worth it when you're following your heart...or your dream...or just a job even. Ha! Thanks for introducing yourself on my blog - I'm Ashlee and it's also nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete