Thursday, March 7, 2013

Let's Make a Deal

I can't close my wallet.

No....there's not too much money in it. It's all those stupid reward cards, like Walgreen's "wellness" card. Every store under the sun gives a card that you present at your time of purchase and you get points, or rewards, or ten percent off your next purchase, or a discount on your birthday, or a baby pony....or whatever.

Now my wallet is so full of the offending cards that I can't close it. I also can't find my keys, phone or lipstick in the mess that is my purse. That wasteland only seems to produce chewed gum, lintly lollipops and those damn cards.

Which leads me to this internal dialogue every time I buy something:

Me: (Said in a Scottish accent because having voices in your head is way more fun if one of them has an accent.) Awww crahhp! Ah've fergotten me carhd.

Annoyed Me: What's the point of those cards anyway?

Me: Ets just en case yew geht a deahl.

Annoyed Me: But I never get a deal.

Me: Buht ye mighht.

Annoyed Me: (Sighs Scottishly, and digs through my abomination of a purse to find the appropriate card....which of course, I can't find.)

Really, why do I hang onto the idea that these cards will help save money? I've had a Shopko Rewards card since the beginning of time and the only thing it has given me is 10% off on my birthday....which is the day after Christmas, and you couldn't pay me any amount of money to go shopping on THAT day.

Hastings, Maurices, Shopko, Walgreens, Rite Aide, Albertson's, Safeway, Sears, Staples, Blick, Sally Beauty, Ikea, OfficeMax, Auntie's Pretzels, the frozen yogurt place, the local pizza chain....the list goes on and on and ON FOREVER. So why do I hang on to them, sifting through the endless pile?

Because I might get a deal.


What's your retail pet peeve?


16 comments:

  1. I was looking through my wallet at the cards I've got recently - even from shops I'll never shop in again for one reason or another. I like my coffee shop card though, because of the free coffee!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reward cards are giving ponies now? I want a pony! Sure, he'll have to live in a two bedroom apartment with me, Gypsy the Feline Dictator, and Bella the Neurotic Cockatiel, but that shouldn't be a problem, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. I'm going to--they are just dumb!

      Delete
  4. Good morning! I don't keep most of those cards in my wallet, well except for Maurice's, because I can just punch my phone number in at checkout! :) I very seldom save anything extra at Shopko either but I do get a $10 off of a $50 purchase every now and then which I need to use today! :) By the way, love your Scottish accent! I think I'd like to make my voice French or Brittish! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're soooo lucky to get a deal from time to time!!!!

      Delete
  5. I find those things whenever I change purses. You have no idea how far back some of those are dated!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The nether world of my purse is bewildering too!!

      Delete
  6. I keep those cards in a separate little pouch. It seems lie every time I start to look for one, the salesclerk says they can just use my phone number...then i am offended by his/her lack of faith in my system!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That IS a beautiful system! I also heard about an app you can put on your phone that keeps track of all those dumb cards....I may try that. :)

      Delete
  7. I just got your AMAZING package in the post!!!!! THANK YOU, LADY! You are marvelous! I'm pulling an epistolary no-no and replying to you at the head of the stack! I'll be showing off the goodies on TMP when I start catching up on incoming mail photos too! :) LOVE YOU, Girl! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! I'm glad it got there!!! Xoxoo

      Delete
    2. But the lovely PO covered up your new address. Can you email it to me? :)

      Delete
  8. Same peeve as you - saves no money and adds to the stress!!!
    Lx

    ReplyDelete